PDA

View Full Version : 5 gallon buckets

globetrotter
03-04-2007, 05:45 PM
I have the opportunity to get free 5gallon buckets that had rennet in them for making cheese. Theirs an oder in them but it washes out. Does anyone think it would be a problem for sap? If I missed a spot and didn't completly clean them out, Could it react with the sap in a bad way?

1999 honda reacon
20" x 66" drop flue

brookledge
03-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Wash them out and they should work fine.
Keith

royalmaple
03-04-2007, 07:18 PM
I've used pickle buckets, olive buckets & barrels. They stink when you first get them, put the bleech and hot water to them and clean them up good & rinse well. My pickle buckets still smell but never bothered the sap at all.

Grab them up.

TapME
03-04-2007, 07:36 PM
I've used the orange clean on them. spray them add alittle water and wash with a cloth and rinse and the smell is gone and bucket is clean.

cheesegenie
03-05-2007, 06:52 AM
You are set to go. I use rennet containers all the time, I even use them
in the summer as my drinking bottles. When they are empty I just rinse
them with hot water, that removes any any left over rennet. Like all maple
equipment, try to stay away from smelly soaps. In case the drums havn't
been used in a while, any rennet might have started to mold, could use
a few drops of chlorine in the water, still , no problem. Any ideas how
to get aluminum buckets separated, when they have been handled rough
and jammed together?

HanginAround
03-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Try hot water.. might cause enough air expansion to break the vacuum. They were probably stacked warm and wet after washing maybe?

globetrotter
03-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the advice, it sounds like I'm good to go.
Not sure how to separate the aluminum buckets.

Dave Y
03-06-2007, 05:58 AM
globetrotter,
When I get aluminum buckets stuck I give them a bear hug type squeeze and roll them against my chest,them slap them on the side a couple of times w/open hand and they will normally come apart. some times you need a second person to help. hope this helps.

TapME
03-06-2007, 05:03 PM
I've had to take a block of wood and hammer to the top rim and tap them gently while someone else holds the buckets. This works most of the time. good luck

Ash Cat
03-12-2007, 05:38 AM
I don't know if this will work but it has worked for me with barrels. Fill the outer bucket with water; the inner bucket will want to float and also exert some outward pressure on the outside bucket.

lpakiz
03-15-2007, 09:26 PM
I separate plastic 5 gallon pails with a blow gun and air compressor.
Direct the air stream between the side of the top bucket and the upper rim of the second bucket (at the interface). Takes very little pressure to move them apart. No danger of violent expansion.. as soon as the pails separate, the pressure drops to almost nothing...