PDA

View Full Version : Frozen sap

Andrew Franklin
02-13-2016, 12:25 AM
In the past I've removed and tossed ice chunks from buckets as I've heard that it is just water and it will save in boiling time to get rid of it. Tonight I went to do that with a few gallons I had set outside that I collected last weekend and they are frozen solid...so no concentrated sap.

Here is my question: at what temp should one throw out ALL the ice from a bucket of sap? I get it when a little bit has frozen and there is a lots of sap, but seeing as how the bucket can freeze solid (7 degrees right now) obviously the good stuff can freeze solid at a certain point and I hate to throw out good sap. Where do I draw the line? What percentage of ice vs. unfrozen sap...or temp for rule of thumb? Thanks!

sugarman3
02-13-2016, 06:01 AM
Not let it freeze in the buckets,if the bucket only has a couple inches in it ,then it freeze solid when it gets that cold.If you are worried about a little sap,let it thaw a little,then throw out ice chunks,or boil it all.RULE OF THUMB-DON'T LET IT FREEZE IN BUCKETS THAT SOLID!!!

Big_Eddy
02-13-2016, 08:53 AM
We discussed the science of it last year. Short story. Above -9c the sugar does not freeze into the ice. Below -9c the sugar solution will freeze.

I go by overnight temps. If it wasn't less than 10 below C I toss the ice.

The best thing though is that when the frozen sap blocks thaw, the sugar solution comes out first. Once the blocks have thawed to the point they are "soft" all the remaining ice crystals are just water. So after a cold spell when the pails are solid, I collect the blocks into my tank and as they thaw, I drain off the super concentrate until I'm left with just the ice, then drain that to ground.

Andrew Franklin
02-13-2016, 11:19 AM
Great answers - thanks!

adk1
02-13-2016, 02:23 PM
I agree with Vern, don't let it freeze solid. I use sap sacks and its a rule of thumb to empty sacks each night so the sap doesn't freeze for sure

blissville maples
02-13-2016, 07:22 PM
melt your ice and test it with hydrometer, I did this and was throwing ice out that was .75 sugar. the ice molecules can trap the suagr