PDA

View Full Version : Dry stack

newmod
02-12-2016, 05:54 PM
I am only going to be able to dry stack my fire brick this year, running out of time and the weather is to cold to mortar them in. Anyhow, Will I run in to any problems this year while boiling? besides knocking the bricks with the firewood?

Newmod

MISugarDaddy
02-13-2016, 05:08 AM
That is how I did my first evaporator, a 2' by 4', because the sides of the arch sloped slightly so the bricks stayed in place nicely. I made sure the last row was a tight fit against the top rail I used it that way for 8 seasons before selling it and I never had a brick come out of place. Just be careful putting in firewood and I think it will work fine for you. Fireplace shops sell a caulk that can be used to fill any gaps if you need it. Do it just before you plan your first firing and it will set up nicely.
Gary

maple flats
02-13-2016, 06:26 AM
I laid mine in with refractory in cold weather and cured it slowly with a light bulb, then a small fire and gradually larger fires. However I have heard of many who dry stacked. Some then parged (troweled a thin coat of refractory cement) the surface to help seal the bigger gaps.

Helicopter Seeds
02-14-2016, 05:51 PM
second year with dry stack, this year inside a shelter, so the gaps are giving me smoke right after stoking it with wood.

I am debating how to seal those also, but since this will not be the permanent, I hate to put mortar on the nice bricks. I have a different plan for those. (pizza oven).

I piled up cold old ashes on the cracks and that has helped, but far from air tight. had thought of making a mud with them and spreading it, or 'parging'? if that is what that means.

Last year, outdoor it made no difference. most smoke went up pipe, so it was much better than a campfire.