PDA

View Full Version : Ontario adopting IMSI grading standards. 2 year transition

Big_Eddy
02-12-2016, 01:25 PM
OMAFRA has agreed to adopt the IMSI grading standards, starting Jan 1 2016, with a 2 year transition period.

See more details on the new grading standards on the Ontario Maple Syrup Producers website.

http://www.omspa.ca/resources/regulation-119/

Note particularly that the use of "Amber" as a grade name is changing significantly

argohauler
02-13-2016, 09:54 AM
That's why I said we have to re-educate the consumer. The new Amber won't have the maple flavour of the old one had. It's not even close to being what our Canadian Amber grade is. I think I will stay with the old system for this year. I have a lot of grade stickers to use up and I will start easing people into it as they buy. Take the new classification and show the Amber people they'll want dark next year.

Big_Eddy
02-13-2016, 01:22 PM
I was thinking to convert right away. But I was at my local maple distributor on Friday. No new grading kits. No new labels. I guess I'll be continuing with the old system for this season too.

MaxJ
02-13-2016, 05:56 PM
I was thinking to convert right away. But I was at my local maple distributor on Friday. No new grading kits. No new labels. I guess I'll be continuing with the old system for this season too.
I see the small vendors will still be able to sell without putting on the nutritional labelling which is the only break it seems in the new system. Somebody commented the other day it's going to be a "PSSST Want to buy some syrup?" type market happening.:)
Same as the over west of me Eddie, still all the dusty labels from last year. Some of the prices for other things hadn't been marked up yet to this years prices but I can see a price increase on items once they get to the items. It was surprising that the glass bottles were still at the sale price of last year which helped out a bit.

Big_Eddy
03-24-2016, 09:19 AM
I made up an info sheet to post in the Sugar House. Any Ontario producers are free to use it too. Let me know if you find it useful. I included a page with and without the Sweet Ontario and OMPSA branding for members and non-members.

Unfortunately the mapletrader site won't allow me to upload it due to the size, but here is a link to it. new-ontario-maple-grade-comparison.pdf (http://www.sugarbush.info/forums/attachments/ontario/5732d1458828758-new-imsi-grades-ontario-new-ontario-maple-grade-comparison.pdf)

TerryEspo
03-24-2016, 11:48 AM
I emailed them and they send me a copy cardboard cards showing the new and old grading system. Ont. Govt buildings (Service Ontario), have them on hand in certain cities. Nice to have them when bottling to look at what you just made.