PDA

View Full Version : There is always next year.

RUNOFBANK
02-11-2016, 05:38 PM
I had every intention of building a new sugar house for this season. However when looking at how my grandfather constructed our horse barn some 40 years ago. I found that the little sag in the roof line and lean in the wall was actually a bit more. All the posts in contact with manure over the years were rotted clear off. As much as I wanted to ignore it and just start building the sugar house. I couldn't. So some materials and time I had set aside for the sap house soon became part of the old barn. The materials I'll replace but for now the time is gone. At least after getting the barn back on her feet, there was some time to prep the site for the new sugar house but I don't think there will be any steam rolling out of it this season. There is always next year. At least I hope so.

Cedar Eater
02-11-2016, 08:52 PM
I was going to build a new multipurpose building to use for this year, but like you, other projects came along. And now another project came along, a 12X 16 wood drying shed for my outdoor woodstove firewood, but I might peak the roof and add a cupola and turn it into a small scale sugar shack as it will be empty by the time sugar season comes around.

MISugarDaddy
02-12-2016, 06:00 AM
I think your priorities are correct. As much as you would like a sugarhouse, waiting a year on the barn might have been a very bad decision. I have heard of several pole barns that have had the same problem as you experienced. Good luck with your current and future project.
Gary