PDA

View Full Version : Buying a vacuum gauge? What store ????

TerryEspo
02-09-2016, 08:40 PM
I want to buy a vacuum gauge to play around with.

Ebay I see them, but hope to buy one locally.

Tried Walmart, cant find one online from Walmart. What kind of store do I look at, automotive store ? Welding shop ? Scuba store ? What occupation uses the vacuum gauge we use for sapping?

I never realized buying a small item was so difficult.

Thank-you in advance.

Terry

adk1
02-09-2016, 08:43 PM
I bought mine at a restaurant, plumbing, h/v/a/c store. Only ran a couple of bucks

Risingsweetnesssugarshack
02-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Just picked up gauges at F.W Webb for 3 dollars and some change.

Amber Gold
02-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Ditto Risingsweetness. It's where I get mine from. They're cheap enough that if they fail, just throw them out.

Bucket Head
02-09-2016, 09:50 PM
Three dollars and change? Huh? I just bought some today from the local F.W. Webb and they were $5.72! I want to speak to the manager right now!!

Like Amber Gold said, cheap enough if they get ruined somehow. If they still work next year, great. If not, oh well.

maple flats
02-10-2016, 04:50 AM
I bought mine at a local plumbing store catering to professional plumbers. The best price seemed to be on them seemed to be one that goes both ways from zero- vacuum/PSI. I paid $4.95 last year. Then if you want to permanently install it the cheapest way I found was to use a T, a length of lateral tubing and a barb x 1/4" female fitting. I found those at West Virginia Mapler's, I got a bunch to mount them in many spots. To put them on mains, try Lowe's. In their plastic fittings for their black poly pipe they have barb x 1/2 threaded elbows and tees. Then reduce the 1/2 to 1/4" using a bushing and you can install a gauge at either the start or end of a main (or both).

Russell Lampron
02-10-2016, 05:45 AM
I bought mine at a local plumbing store catering to professional plumbers. The best price seemed to be on them seemed to be one that goes both ways from zero- vacuum/PSI. I paid $4.95 last year. Then if you want to permanently install it the cheapest way I found was to use a T, a length of lateral tubing and a barb x 1/4" female fitting. I found those at West Virginia Mapler's, I got a bunch to mount them in many spots. To put them on mains, try Lowe's. In their plastic fittings for their black poly pipe they have barb x 1/2 threaded elbows and tees. Then reduce the 1/2 to 1/4" using a bushing and you can install a gauge at either the start or end of a main (or both).

If you don't want to cut into your mainline to put in the barb fitting you can use a 5/16" manifold and adapt your vacuum gauge to the 5/16" fitting.

CharlieR
02-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Three dollars and change? Huh? I just bought some today from the local F.W. Webb and they were $5.72! I want to speak to the manager right now!!

I just picked up a couple from F.W. Webb and paid $8 a piece......!!

TerryEspo
02-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Called hvac stores, plumbing stores, auto part stores, building supply stores,,,,,NADDA.

I cant believe how difficult such a small item is to buy. Some of my local stores have vacuum kits but start around $30, for cars fuel pumps or something. Doesn't sound like what I want.

Ebay would be my only option but would end up costing me around $20.00 for one. Cant justify that price, so not ordering from Ebay.

Happy this didn't happen when buying tubing or spiles !!

Terry

psparr
02-10-2016, 04:23 PM
I ordered mine from eBay. Got six of them stainless. Cost $35 total and they came from Canada. I'll look back through my eBay stuff and see if I can find you a link.

psparr
02-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Won't let me look back that far. Sorry.

lakeview maple
02-10-2016, 05:09 PM
FW Webb , they have a maple supply section , I picked up 15 of them for 3.79 a piece

lpakiz
02-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Psparr and others,
Today I made a discovery about PayPal. You can log in and find every purchase you ever made, along with a description of the item. Purchases no more than 2 years old come with a link to take you to the original EBay auction, if that is where the charge came from. Look for "activity" then "all activity". When the listing comes up,click ion it to expand it and all that info pops up. You can pick from 2015 and 2016, and there is a drop down box where you can enter custom dates or ranges of dates. Gonna make tax deductions more complete, and verifications a snap.

TerryEspo
02-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Going back to Ebay to see if I can find a Canada seller.
Thanks for the heads up PSPARR.

Terry

CharlieR
02-10-2016, 05:56 PM
I just picked up a couple from F.W. Webb and paid $8 a piece......!!

Sorry, just checked the invoice they were $3.74 a piece!! Go talk to the manager....!!!

SeanD
02-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Sorry, just checked the invoice they were $3.74 a piece!! Go talk to the manager....!!!

CharlieR from Holliston? Hmmmm... Hey wait a second! Welcome to the Trader! You didn't clear out the vac. gauges did you? I'm heading down there tomorrow or Friday.

Bucket Head
02-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Guy's,

I returned the first one's and ordered these from F.W. Webb. Product #427879, Product Code #BSHPGV-30 Cost- $3.56

Thanks to a local sugarmaker near me who gave me the numbers to ask for!

SeanD
02-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Thanks for that info! Let's just say the FW Webb down here in the flatter lands is not in the same loop as those up north. The guy looked at me like I had five heads. I'm not kidding when I tell you the guy told me he'd been working there for five years and had never heard of such a thing. I have to give him credit, though. He stuck with me and we eventually found a random one on a shelf. He looked up the number and is the last one and it is $14 and change. I asked about a cheaper version and he said he had no way of looking it up.

Now he does. Thanks for that number. I'll call them tomorrow.

I was able to get a 1/4" FPT by 1/4" hose barb for the gauge, but it is too big for the 3/16" tubing I'm using. I think I saw a 1/8" barb to try, but I'm worried it will be too small. You don't happen to have a part number for a 3/16" barb fitting do you?

Sean

markct
02-11-2016, 08:36 PM
After chasing around town to get one local you could have simply ordered one from mcmaster carr and had it show up in less than 24 hours, i like to buy the big ones that abe 4.5 inch diameter i believe, i put them on a tree near the road or trail and can check my bush vac level driving by at 30mph

Bucket Head
02-11-2016, 08:56 PM
SeanD,

I didn't get the fittings from Webb. The 1/4" female to 3/16' barb fittings I have came from Dominion & Grimm. Do you have a dealer near you? If not just call the closest one to you. Or if you have a hardware store near you they may have a decent selection of nylon fittings. But decent, old fashioned hardware stores are getting hard to find... McMaster Carr has them also, I believe, but I do not know what the numbers are to them.

Or get a 1/4" female to 5/16' barb fitting and a 5/16" to 3/16" barb to barb fitting (from a CDL dealer) and use a short piece of 5/16' sap tubing.

regor0
02-11-2016, 08:59 PM
I ju add the got some from materialsdirect.com or direct materials.com, can't remember which, for less than 4 bucks a piece.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Sweet Spot
02-15-2016, 07:18 PM
Amazon: I just bought 6 for $2.59 each. Put them in your basket and let them sit for a while. They will put them on special and give you a better price.
First time I tried it, and it did work.

Fireguy
02-15-2016, 07:21 PM
I got mine from materials direct.com also. If you guys down south are having trouble with fw Webb try calling Sam at the saint j store or hoss at the Rutland store. They both know their maple products well and can ship to Webb near you.