PDA

View Full Version : My Barrel Unit Build-Question???

johnpma
02-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Getting close to finishing my barrel unit. Built the unit from a 55 gallon steel drum, used 1 1/4" angle with .048 thick sheet metal to form the upper fire box. Installed a US Stove door kit, and found a SS pan with pre-heat pan on craigslist. I'm going to insulate the floor and sides of the barrel before installing my fire brick.

My question is what to do at the rear of the steel box I built and welded (picture showing inside the barrel) where the chimney flu would be. Not sure if I should cut out a full radius to match the contour of the barrel or if I should just cut a 6" hole to allow the smoke to escape the fire box area.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bucket Head
02-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Looks good! Is the angle iron at the bottom of the "box" going to hold what your using for a grate(s)? Or no grate and the fire will be in the bottom of the barrel- the brown painted area? If grates are going across, there isn't much of a height difference between the grate and where the smoke has to exit. Or maybe the photo makes it look that way? Not sure.

Anyway, probably either way would work. Whichever would be the easiest fabrication/modification. And you won't need that damper. A little blower of some sort giving a little forced draft will make a world of difference on that rig. You won't want the restriction of a damper. I experimented with one years ago and it made no difference. You just want as hot of fire as you can make and have a properly sized smoke stack, which you do.

Super Sapper
02-09-2016, 11:12 AM
Just cut the 6 inch hole in the top and ditch the damper. Grates to allow air under the fire and you will need a blower or a larger hole than the 2 inch bung hole for proper draft.

Big_Eddy
02-09-2016, 11:18 AM
My question is what to do at the rear of the steel box I built and welded (picture showing inside the barrel) where the chimney flu would be. Not sure if I should cut out a full radius to match the contour of the barrel or if I should just cut a 6" hole to allow the smoke to escape the fire box area.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Certainly cut the full radius. You want the heat to flow up to the pans and then back to the chimney. Otherwise the main flow of gasses will stay low below the bottom of your pans on the way to the chimney and you won't get as much heat out of the fire as you would otherwise.

johnpma
02-09-2016, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys! I will have a fireplace grate on top of the bricks on the floor of the unit. I was thinking a blower but am unsure how to connect the blower until i get closer to completing the unit.

johnpma
02-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Fired it up yesterday very impressed. A blower is gonna be a big asset. The stove kit door is a bit on the small side especially with the grate installed but good dry wood got a roaring fire going burned off the barrel then boiled some water & vinegar to clean my taps and rince my buckets. Cant wait to do an official boil on it.