PDA

View Full Version : Tapped Some Test Trees

Cedar Eater
02-08-2016, 01:35 PM
I tapped three trees today, almost a full month before my first taps last year. These trees get the most sunlight and should be the first to flow. I'm near the east end of the line of counties that includes Traverse City, Grayling, Mio, and Harrisville. I haven't heard of anybody this far north tapping yet, but I've just been seeing so many days in the forties that I want to make sure that I know when the trees thaw. One of the holes got a little moist just after the drilling, but it didn't flow.

Cedar Eater
02-08-2016, 02:31 PM
My wife has just reported that we are getting some accumulation in two of the four jugs. Looks like I'll probably be tapping more trees tomorrow.

gbwaterski
02-08-2016, 07:44 PM
I had 30 gallons form 45 taps today

Cedar Eater
02-08-2016, 08:17 PM
I had 30 gallons form 45 taps today

Without knowing where you are, at least narrowed down to a county, I can't tell whether I should expect my taps to be doing better. If you're on the southern border, I would say no. If you're near or north of my latitude, maybe I missed a few good runs.

gbwaterski
02-08-2016, 08:57 PM
I am located an hour north of grand rapids. The best producing trees were on the south edge of the woods.

Cedar Eater
02-08-2016, 09:09 PM
I am located an hour north of grand rapids. The best producing trees were on the south edge of the woods.

Thanks. That will help others decide when to tap. The line moves north about one county per week for morel hunting, so maybe about the same for maple tapping.