PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Refining My Finishing Process

johnpma
02-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Small backyard hobby boiler. 50 taps boil on a barrel evaporator finish on the stove. In the past we have only used a thermometer to finish our syrup. Some was dark, some light, some thin, some thick. We filter, filter, and filter so I'm thinking I need a better way or tool to gage what I'm making in the finishing process. With out breaking the bank what should I have in my arsenal to achieve consistency in my finishing process?

lpakiz
02-08-2016, 10:04 AM
John,
Without a doubt, you should get a hydrometer (or 2). There is no better, foolproof way to get syrup exactly at the correct density. $17-22 for most hydrometers. There are hydrometers for many purposes, lincluding beer, wine, sap and syrup. You need one that reads in the 66 brix range for syrup. All maple dealers will carry this most basic tool.
They can be shipped, but this unit is VERY fragile, hence the suggestion to have 2.
You will also need a "cup" which is a vessel to allow you to have syrup at a depth of 6-8 inches in which to. float the instrument. Tall glasses, a cup or thermos type units all work, but you might want to buy the job-specific model from the dealer. The cup should be 1/2 to 1 inch shorter than the total length of the hydrometer. Don't drop the hydrometer into the cup, because if density is too thin, the hydrometer will fall to the bottom and break the glass bottom of the instrument.
A better method is to lower it until it touches the bottom, then release it. If it floats back up to approximately the correct height, clean off the syrup on the stem, at least to the float point, then lower it to the red line and release it. It should bob about for a bit, then settle at a given point, which hopefully is the red line at the temp you are testing at.

johnpma
02-08-2016, 10:14 AM
John,
Without a doubt, you should get a hydrometer (or 2). There is no better, foolproof way to get syrup exactly at the correct density. $17-22 for most hydrometers. There are hydrometers for many purposes, lincluding beer, wine, sap and syrup. You need one that reads in the 66 brix range for syrup. All maple dealers will carry this most basic tool.
They can be shipped, but this unit is VERY fragile, hence the suggestion to have 2. Thanks for the quick response. I have never had one or used one. Seems to be different lengths and scales. Does this play a roll in the type of finishing you do? Also is an accurate thermometer critical as well? Have always just used a candy thermometer to finish.......maybe we have been lucky:lol:

lpakiz
02-08-2016, 10:45 AM
If you have a hydrometer, you wouldn't need a thermometer, altho some people use the thermometer to predict when to start testing with the hydrometer.
Yes there are different lengths. The taller the instrument, the more scale separation, which makes it easier to read. I seldom read the actual number. Rather, I look at how far from the red line the syrup is reading and go from there.

2oldsaps
02-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Adding a hydrometer last year helped us immensely. We also use a digital cooking thermometer with the wire and probe attached. It has an alarm that you can set at what ever temperature you want. At least it takes the pressure off and you can then use the hydrometer once you get close. You can get the thermometer at any cooking store for not much $$.

Russell Lampron
02-08-2016, 05:30 PM
If you have a hydrometer, you wouldn't need a thermometer, altho some people use the thermometer to predict when to start testing with the hydrometer.
Yes there are different lengths. The taller the instrument, the more scale separation, which makes it easier to read. I seldom read the actual number. Rather, I look at how far from the red line the syrup is reading and go from there.

He will still need an accurate thermometer. The hydrometer reading is temperature related. I use an Accu Cup and chart to make sure the density is correct.

brass maple
02-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Also when using the thermometer make sure to check the reading is right before boiling. Bring a pot of water to full boil and read the thermometer. If it is off(212*) use the reading you get to add the 7.2* to and it should be a little more accurate. The barometric pressure can cause it to be off