PDA

View Full Version : rainware in sap

eustis22
02-07-2016, 02:20 PM
is it ok to boil sap that's gotten rainwater in it? I'd hate to have to dump what I've collected so far.

happy thoughts
02-07-2016, 02:46 PM
I think that's your call based on your fuel supply and time and also on your comfort level. Some things I'd think about-How diluted is it? Rainwater is going to take some extra energy and time to boil off. If too diluted, probably not worth your time or fuel costs. Can you measure it's sugar content? The syrup may be darker as well if only for the prolonged boiling. Also, though microorganisms will be killed in boiling, think about what might have come along with the rainwater. Did it drip down a tree or a roof and contaminate your buckets or storage container with general filth and possibly animal droppings? Again your call but high quality sap makes the highest quality syrup.

eustis22
02-07-2016, 03:03 PM
it probably dripped in from that tubing, there are no structures or animals wandering by. The sequence was: 1 gpt before the rain > rain > and now followed by two good days of draws, so 'm thinking mostly good mixed in with enough raiunwater to discolor

I suppose I should just dump it

Maplewalnut
02-07-2016, 03:36 PM
I think you maybe over thinking it. Boil it!!!

BAP
02-07-2016, 05:52 PM
People have been boiling sap with rainwater in it for well over 100 years and have survived and made good syrup.