PDA

View Full Version : boiling in Fabius

Noseguard76
02-06-2016, 08:10 PM
Boiled about 30 gallons in my 1/2 pint today in Fabius. will boil about 10 more gallons tomorrow. Weather will then
shut us down for at least until the 20th.

Noseguard76
02-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Sap did not run today. Finished yesterday's boil.

Harsh
02-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Where are you in Fabius? I drive school bus for FP and live in Jamesville. I have an old sugar shack at, what used to be, the pompey heritage farm (homemade arch with a 2x6 drop flue pan). It's a little different than what I'm used to - cement block arch and lasagna pans! I haven't tapped in a few years because frankly it's a little intimidating - I need a lot more sap than what i'm used to. Thinking about giving another shot this year - but it looks like I'm behind if you're already tapped and boiling! Hope you have a good season.

Noseguard76
02-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Harsh, I am on Shackham Road south of the village of Fabius. I don't think that you are late, more likely that I was early. Just wanted to get an early boil in to debug my new setup. Things went well with the exception of a few fire bricks falling down. Had about 25 gallons from 15 taps on Sunday morning. Will boil this weekend depending upon flow this week. Will tap 4 or 5 more trees for March.

Noseguard76
02-28-2016, 02:13 PM
15 day weather forecast does not look very good. We'll have a few days of freezing and thawing, 5 days below freezing, then a few days of freezing and thawing followed by warm weather. Hope the nighttime temps drop below freezing in mid March, otherwise we'll be all done.