PDA

View Full Version : Tree Topping

Marcus
02-06-2016, 03:16 PM
I do not recommend topping trees. With that being said i have tried to tap three different trees that have been topped. Has anyone else tried tapping topped trees. I have never had these trees produce any sap to amount to anything.

wildlifewarrior
02-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Are you talking about the recent research that has come out about topping saplings? If you are, the theory is that they produce small amounts of sap, but if you were to have an acre of saplings planted just a few feet apart, you could produce crazy amounts of sap even though there is only a small amour of sap produced per sapling… if thats what you are referring to.

Mike

Marcus
02-06-2016, 08:04 PM
No I'am talking trees with maybe 3- 4 foot in diameter,two were topped approx. 30 years ago. These 2 are silver maples. I tapped a sugar maple today that had been lightly topped 3years ago and did not run. 20 feet away another sugar maple was gushing.

Michael Greer
02-07-2016, 03:42 PM
Maybe that first tree had the sense to know it's only the beginning of February.

Cedar Eater
02-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Maybe that first tree had the sense to know it's only the beginning of February.

:lol: That got a chuckle out of me. :lol: