PDA

View Full Version : Splitter

MaxJ
02-05-2016, 05:05 PM
I had post on Shepp's thread regarding my splitter and some questions. So I did a complete fluid change for the hydraulics drained everything that I could, and filled everything back up again. It seems that when it gets warmed up the piston isn't any speed demon but fast enough to do short cycles flipping the block around and splitting it. There's issues with the old engine as it smokes and there's no time for rebuilding or don't want to do a replacement, so I might just run a log exhaust pipe up to dissipate the fumes.

Question for the knowledgable folks: Being that this engine is a 40+yrs old 10HP Briggs & Stratton that smokes, would a newer 6.5HP B&S engine be strong enough to power the pump?

Big_Eddy
02-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Post the make and model number on the pump. It's all about the pump.

MaxJ
02-07-2016, 05:17 PM
The pump is a Webster Electronics, tried to get the number off the plate but couldn't read it well enough. There is a F5 on the ID plate but that's about all I can get. The old engine ran pretty good for part of the afternoon, then yesterday it wouldn't start and it seemed to be a fuel issue. Got it going and did 4 blocks and it died. So I switched it out for the newer Honda 6.5 got it all together this morning and it purred for 6 straight hours on just a couple of fills. So it was a productive day.:)

mudr
02-07-2016, 06:55 PM
If I recall, you can run 2 gpm per hp of engine (someone confirm that for me). That 6.5 hp should run up to a 13 gpm pump. Hearth.com is a good resource.

MaxJ
02-07-2016, 08:45 PM
I drove to town yesterday to get a part at Princess Auto, while there I thought about getting a new pump to match the motor and the guy was really helpful in picking the different options as in single or two stage. I'm thinking just get something that will work so we picked out one that would work from the computer listing and went to the shelf and it was empty, two weeks before they get one in again.

I'll have a look at what Hearth has to offer, thanks for the lead.

mudr
02-08-2016, 05:21 AM
Glad I could point you to a better resource than I am! I've got a husker 22 ton, the model that tractor supply sold millions of. They now have husker (well,parent brand) making a tsc store brand splitter, Countyline. I looked one over the other day, looks very similar though they are running Kohlers now. Anyway, my 22 ton has a two stage which I like a lot.

Big_Eddy
02-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Princess Auto has a pretty good reference book on their website for hydraulic pumps, cylinders etc.

http://images11.palcdn.com/documents/drivelinedatabook.pdf

Page 10 gives the calculations for gas engine size.

What the reference document doesn't cover well is 2 stage pumps which are really 2 pumps in 1- a high volume, low pressure pump for movement, and a high pressure, low volume pump for splitting. I wouldn't recommend anything but a 2 stage pump on a dedicated log splitter.
Vendors size 2 stage pumps to match typical gas engine outputs, so selection is pretty straight forward. Pick one recommended for the size of engine you have. :) If you have to make a choice between 2 at the same recommended HP, look for a higher low pressure GPM rating as that's where most of your waiting time will be.

If you are not in a hurry, watch the PA sales- the pumps go on sale regularly.

MaxJ
02-08-2016, 11:17 AM
PA quoted about double for a 2 stage over a single stage. The one that would be a good fit hasn't been on sale since last October. He mentioned that the pumps usually go on sale in the fall. The present set up gives me enough time to reposition the block for splitting or quartering. The actual full recycling time is very slow, but on short cycling I am able to remove the split wood or get another block. So splitting and stacking, I got 1.5 full cords completly done yesterday in the 6 hrs of operation. I have no idea on what to expect from a splitter in the same amount of time.

Big_Eddy
02-08-2016, 01:03 PM
13 HP 2 Stage hydraulic pump
SKU: 8477994
Max. Continuous Flow - Low Pressure 16.0 GPM / High Pressure 4.0 GPM
Max. Speed - 3,600
$150 until Feb 21.

The 9 HP, 8HP and 5HP ones are more expensive, but they are not on sale at present.

MaxJ
02-08-2016, 09:43 PM
That's double the Hp that I have on the splitter now, though it's got the RPM. There's another option is to get another set quick connect couplers on the splitter and run it off one of the pumps on the ford 5000 tractor, they might get along each being 43yrs old.

Gissert
02-28-2016, 11:45 AM
I took an old splitter that used to mount on a tractor 3 point hitch that used the tractor hydros. Put a set of wheels and a hitch on it. Took me a while to find an engine that I'd feel comfortable running the 6 inch, 40 inch stroke cylinder. Fund a used Honda GX610 18 hp twin and mated it to a 22 GPM two stage pump. I run the engine just above idle, and the pump never kicks in low stage on most pieces. Very happy with this set up.

MaxJ
03-02-2016, 05:44 PM
That 18hp must run it it pretty nice, I might spring for a two stage pump to liven thing up. it still beat the splitting maul. :)