PDA

View Full Version : Hot End System

Bfouts
02-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Looking and buying a tubing tool. Now it has been suggested to buy amHot End System. Both are an investment. I've check out the Hot End System. Who out there has used this? What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bfouts
02-04-2016, 03:53 PM
And will it work on 3/4 inch main line?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-04-2016, 06:04 PM
I used a Hot End a couple of years ago and it works good but I personally I think a good 2 handed tool can't be beat. I used my hot end to set up about 120 taps in new woods and sold it.

Cody
02-04-2016, 07:09 PM
I used a Hot End a couple of years ago and it works good but I personally I think a good 2 handed tool can't be beat. I used my hot end to set up about 120 taps in new woods and sold it.What two handed tool do you use,and is it for 3/16?

Bfouts
02-04-2016, 07:15 PM
I do not have a tubing tool yet. I'm looking at purchasing one. Someone suggested the hot end system. So I just wanted to weigh my options before dropping the money for either one. I feel that what I purchase is an investment. So I'm trying to educate myself before spending the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heus
02-04-2016, 08:25 PM
I like using the hot end system when making up drops and installing my laterals onto the saddles but otherwise a one handed tool is preferred.

Stone
02-05-2016, 11:38 AM
About 12 years ago I installed tubing for about 200 trees using a home-made hot end system (a thermos of hot water) because I was too cheap to buy real tubing tools. Over the next several years, the tubing pulled apart at almost all those fittings and I was constantly repairing it. I think that heating the plastic tubing and then pressing it over a fitting causes the plastic to remold to a new shape. Using a tubing tool to press cool/cold tubing over a fitting results in no remolding of the plastic so the plastic grips the barbs tightly. I now have about 4000 taps (all tubing installed with two handed tubing tools) and I almost never find the tubing pulled apart at a fitting (certainly less than 10 instances in the past 6 years).

The hot end system should be fine for making up drops since drop lines usually don't get pulled on. But then again, if you are making up drops in your house, why buy a hot end system when you can just use a jar of hot water?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-05-2016, 11:58 AM
CDL has a 3/16 2 handed tool with auto tension that works great and will work on 3/16 and 5/16 with the auto tension feature. I've sold several and customers love them too.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-05-2016, 12:17 PM
bfouts,

I've been using one now for two years and love it. The only tool I use now is my drop line tool, everything else in done with the Hot End. I also think it helps in the reduction of micro-leaks on spouts, tees and other fittings. Well worth the money and time saved. Making up drop lines is effortless, 100 drops can be made up in an hour or less if you leave out the beverage. If mine crapped out today, I would have another on the way. Another great tool that goes with the Hot-End is the 5/16" tension hooks. These hold tension on the tubing while your putting in the fitting, think of these like another helper you don't have to hire. If your worried about it pulling apart, never, the tubing will stretch and break long before separation from the fitting.

Good Luck

WestfordSugarworks
02-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Bfouts,

what is your intended use for a tool/hot end system? And how often or how much work will you be doing with it?

sugarsand
02-05-2016, 06:15 PM
In two years of use, we haven't had any problem with leaks or lines pulling off fittings. The Hot End is nearly foolproof, so I dont know what a few people are doing wrong to have connections fail. I wouldn't be without one either.

sugarsand

Bfouts
02-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Bfouts,

what is your intended use for a tool/hot end system? And how often or how much work will you be doing with it?

I have about 300 tap-able trees on my farm. My goal is to be able to tap all trees in the next 5 years. Eventually moving to a vacuum system. Plus the surrounding properties have tons of trees! I was told that years ago this was a fully used sugar bush! Hoping to get it back there!

maple flats
02-06-2016, 06:04 AM
I bought a hot end system and after just 1 day's use, I ordered a second one, so two teams could add or replace taps at the same time. For just 300 tap-able trees you would only need 1 and you don't need a second battery. It will only work on 3/16 and 5/16 tubing. I've never had a single issue and no micro leaks on any fitting I connected using the hot end system. Never had a fitting pull off or apart with it. For 3/4" mainline you need a thermos of boiling hot water. To assemble mainline just pour a little into the cup, hole the mainline end so it enters the hot water at 45 degree angle or more so one side is not softened. That helps hold the line from kinking, and then push the fitting in. You may also need a mallet to get it in all the way. By the way, 1 person can just hammer (with a mallet) the first side of a fitting in, but then you want a helper for the second side unless it is an elbow, 2 people, pushing towards the fitting and flexing the tubing as you push can insert the plastic couplings, if you use Lapierre SS couplings you will need a mainline tool and they would not be worth the investment for a smaller set-up. They work very well, but are only cost effective if you have a lot of mainline to install. It have one that does 1.25" and 1.5" and with sets of interchangeable adapters I do 3/4" and 1" mains.

WestfordSugarworks
02-07-2016, 05:46 PM
Bfouts, sounds like it could be a handy tool for you. I thought that you have to hold the tubing in the port for a long time to heat it, but based on the demonstration video it doesn't look like it takes long to heat. Looks efficient. I try to think of questions like this in terms of efficiency. Will the hot end system allow you to work more quickly than using regular tools, and will this increased efficiency make up for the increased cost of the hot end system?

It's a great feeling knowing that you have room around you to expand. We also are hoping to tap neighbors land and increase our production. good luck!

maple flats
02-07-2016, 06:15 PM
The heating time varies. I do not have the new battery warmer option, but at temps in the mid-low 20's F, 3/16 takes 3-4 seconds and 5/16 take about 5-6 seconds to start. After you have used it for 3-4 hrs add about 2 seconds. I don't really time it however, I just count 1-2-3 or 1-2-3-4-5 depending on which size tubing I'm doing. I can use it for 4-5 hrs at those temps before the time needed get to almost double. At that point I could keep going, but I carry a second battery, swap it out and start fresh. There is also a little pocket option to hold 3 of those chemical hand warmers to keep the battery warm which will give longer use times, but if you want that I'[d suggest you simply try placing 1 of those hand warmer packets under the battery, it might help enough that you'd never be tempted to buy the optional 3 pocket item.
I suspect those who have issues with tubing pulling off a fitting when the Hot End System was used are heating the tubing too long. I do it only until I can push the tubing on with a little effort and I don't add any time until that initial time gets harder to push on. At that point I add 1 second, which seems to happen somewhere around 2.5-3 hrs use if working in temps in the low to mid 20's F.

Bfouts
02-07-2016, 07:52 PM
I'm thinking about getting both. I just ordered a two handed tool. But thinking I want the jot end system too. I'm excited to try something different this year! It's a big step going from 10 taps on drop lines to running tubing and tapping 30 plus trees!

Too Tall
02-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Hey Fouts,

You can't beat the two handed tool. Are you running 3/16ths?

Z

Bfouts
02-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Hey Fouts,

You can't beat the two handed tool. Are you running 3/16ths?

Z

Going to be running 5/16. I purchased a two handed tool. Just waiting now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maple flats
02-09-2016, 05:12 PM
I used 2 handed tools for 12 yrs. before I got my first Hot End System, it will work.

Robert K
02-10-2016, 08:36 PM
I got mine today and am looking to try it out this weekend. Temps are supposed to be a little chilly -20C according to some, will see. Looks much handier then the two handed tool, I like the simple wooden tube holders.
:D
Robert

Cody
12-29-2016, 08:58 AM
So guy's,what are your thoughts on the Hot End System.Good or bad?

pipeline
12-29-2016, 06:08 PM
bought one and used it replacing spouts 3 to 400 hands were getting sore went back to using new aluminum 2 handed tool faster and easier. changed a few thousand spouts so far this year hot end works fine just my preference

sugarsand
12-31-2016, 09:15 AM
We started out with a two handed tool then I bought the Hot End. The two hander has laid on
the work bench ever since. Plan to buy another HES at Verona next week.

Robert K
01-01-2017, 07:34 AM
Bought one last year and I have to say it works well. :D

mountainvan
01-01-2017, 08:43 AM
I've used one this fall and like it very much, especially when working with 3/16 and 5/16 tubing in the same woods. My only question is, does the solution help microbe growth? Anyone have a thought?

Cody
01-06-2017, 08:16 AM
Thank you guys for the replies.Called Tim yesterday at Hot End System.Super nice guy to talk to,answered all my questions.Decided to try one,said he would ship it out right away.Told use to try it, if we didn't like it let him know right away.If it turns out we don't like it we can send it back for a full refund.Not many businesses do that nowadays.If anybodies interested this is his phone#802-254-8201.

sugarsand
01-06-2017, 10:09 AM
I've used one this fall and like it very much, especially when working with 3/16 and 5/16 tubing in the same woods. My only question is, does the solution help microbe growth? Anyone have a thought?
Not sure to the answer on that, but I feel the clycerin helps make a good seal on the fittings.

Cody
01-06-2017, 12:06 PM
It is organic certified glycerine.He said it might add a little lube to the tubing,but it is more so if you forget to empty it and leave the HES in freezing weather it don't freeze the unit up and ruin it .Said it isn't needed to work in the unit,just make sure you don't turn it off and let it freeze.

sugarsand
01-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Just picked up a second unit yesterday at Verona, got one for Pete so we wouldnt be fighting over mine.:lol:

Cody
01-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Got it two days ago,only used it for putting new droplines together,worked great.Hoping to get out in woods tomorrow replacing more taps and fixing lines,seems in some areas deer had fun with the tubing.