PDA

View Full Version : Tubing tool

Bfouts
02-04-2016, 05:34 AM
Is it worth spending the money on a tubing tool?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sugarman3
02-04-2016, 05:40 AM
Yes it is ,i have burnt my fingers hundreds on time using a lighter,broke several hot water thermos bottles,they are well worth there money

jcb
02-04-2016, 05:45 AM
YES!!! I think so

Bfouts
02-04-2016, 06:08 AM
So safe to say get the 2 handed tubing tool if I'm buying one.

jcb
02-04-2016, 06:28 AM
Correct I would say get a two hand tool

sugarsand
02-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Check out a Hot End System, it's faster and easier than a two handed tool.

Cody
02-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Check out a Hot End System, it's faster and easier than a two handed tool.Do you have one or tried one on 3/16 tubing?

Bfouts
02-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Cody,
I have not tried one or do I have one yet. I'm going to run 1-3 main lines with 30 to 50 taps this year. Maybe a little aggressive for my second year. But you'll never figure it if you don't do it right.

Maple Hill
02-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Do you have one or tried one on 3/16 tubing?

I have used mine on 3/16 tubing and it works great.

Bfouts
02-04-2016, 05:12 PM
Has anyone tried a hot end system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psparr
02-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Finished up making a 5/16 one the other day, and a 3/16 one just tonight. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160205/57b4fd7475f89366181ce1cfeb2552fa.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160205/6d5dfd0eacd8f36c484417e05ad45392.jpg
If anyone needs one I may be up to making more. Kinda fun actually.

sugarsand
02-05-2016, 06:57 AM
If you know of someone that have a Hot End, borow to try out. You'll be amazed how easy and simple it is, will work with tubing up to 5/16 I know. I found it works best for me if I hang it over my shoulder, stays at a real convienant height as I no longer have hips since getting older.:lol:

sugarsand

SeanD
02-05-2016, 07:56 AM
The Hot End system looks good for putting a fitting on, but the two-handed tool allows me to cut in drops by myself. The main issue for me working alone is not the fitting going on the tubing, but the ends of my laterals flying off in opposite directions and me acting like Plastic Man to get them back together (and put a fitting on at the same time).

Sean

jcb
02-06-2016, 05:48 AM
The Hot End system looks good for putting a fitting on, but the two-handed tool allows me to cut in drops by myself. The main issue for me working alone is not the fitting going on the tubing, but the ends of my laterals flying off in opposite directions and me acting like Plastic Man to get them back together (and put a fitting on at the same time).

Sean

I couldn't agree more

WI Sugarpop
02-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Finished up making a 5/16 one the other day, and a 3/16 one just tonight. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160205/57b4fd7475f89366181ce1cfeb2552fa.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160205/6d5dfd0eacd8f36c484417e05ad45392.jpg

How much would you charge?

Bfouts
02-07-2016, 06:01 AM
I think I'm going to to invest in a two handed tool. Should I invest in a line drill as well? I have seen ways around that. Just a lot of money to invest in both at once.

huxta
02-11-2016, 11:25 PM
I made one similar to this posted by Yellzee. It works great for the 100 taps I have. I just have to use left hand to keep the clamps aligned with the tubing but it worked great and I was able to do all my taps by myself. 1299112992
Cost me about $25 at harbor freight and worked great. Not sure what I would have done without it.
However, If Psparr's price is reasonable, I would buy one from him. That looks like a quality tool as long as the clamps stay aligned.

DocsMapleSyrup
02-12-2016, 09:50 PM
For those with the Hot End system, how do you cut in drops?

Robert K
02-14-2016, 11:46 PM
The 2handed tool works nice but the hot end seems faster and I have been told less micro leaks, let you know when it warms up.
:D
Robert

OldManMaple
02-15-2016, 04:46 AM
For those with the Hot End system, how do you cut in drops? With the two handed tool

11-Nick
02-15-2016, 05:30 PM

I just bought one of these from psparr. Used it for first time today. I've never had another one to compare it to... this is my first year with tubing. I can't imagine how one could work better, though. I've never posted a video, but I had my daughter video me using tool today so I could send it to psparr to show him how slick it was. I'll post it on here later, or post a link to it. Have to leave the house for a bit right now.

TerryEspo
02-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Looking forward to see the video. Thanks ahead of time for sharing.

Terry

11-Nick
02-15-2016, 07:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WEves0DRJs

I bought this from psparr. Used it for the first time today. Just to be funny, I named the tool/video as a tip of the hat to him.

This is my first year with tubing, so I have no experience with other tools to compare to this one I bought from him. Having said that, take my opinion with a grain of salt.....
My fears in buying a tool from 'some guy' as opposed to a tool marketed by a maple company:
1. I was afraid it would have "catches". There is a lot 'going on' in the movements of a two handed tool. I was afraid that, with all those moving, sliding parts, there would be binding somewhere in the movement and make it catch in places. That isn't the case with the tool in the video. It really is as smooth as glass. Again, I've never so much as used another tool, let alone owned one. But I can't imagine for a second that a more expensive tool sold on a major maple site could work better, although I would hope that for the price they charge, it would work just as good the one I bought.
2. As long as it truly worked good, everything else was less important to me (not 'unimportant'.... just 'less' important). But I would have been upset if I got a shoddy looking tool. I can't stand chickensh!t welds on anything. Everyone has a bad day every now and then, but one crappy weld generally gives me a poor opinion of the piece in question. Again... not the case. I'm not a bad welder, but I don't think I could have done a better job at assembling the tool. And, quite frankly, I didn't want the hassle. Way too many angles and things to get *just right* to have a sweet working tool. I couldn't have pulled this off on my own on the first tool (I have no one near me who taps would could help me create a tool from the ground up). I would have had way more money out in materials and failed prototypes than I had in buying this one. Why would I want to fool with it and cost more money in the long run???

I saw pictures of the yellow painted one above before I bought. I didn't want that. I'd rather keep it rubbed down with an oil rag (like a gun, maybe) than to have it painted. I can see the paint itself causing binding, but I don't know that. I know all the ones I see sold online are painted, but it seems that lubed clean metal will slide better than painted metal.

BTW: I'm not doing a sales pitch. He and I aren't drinking buddies and I'm not sleeping with his sister (unless??..... NAH!). I don't care if you buy a tool or who you buy it from. Just throwing out a review of a tool made by a fellow mapletrader. It is a fabulous tool for me, for a price that I could never have cobbled one together for myself. Also, I have intentionally not mentioned price. I believe I have the first one he's sold. Publicly mentioning a price on my part would be inappropriate on the chance that he decides to adjust it. Even if he raised the price, it is worth it in my opinion. Still a lot less than the next-most-expensive one I saw.

Thanks Patrick. You did a fine job on this tool. Just as soon as you go into the business of building drop flues, let me know. I'll be your first customer there, too!

Sorry for the long winded post.

11-Nick
02-15-2016, 07:31 PM
After I made that lost post, I went back and watched that video. I'm sorry for the hard look of concentration. That was one of the first drops I did. I got better at putting in the drops after I got a dozen or so under my belt. Things breezed by a little quicker then. The first few were slow until I figured out how to keep my two hands in four places at once.

Clinkis
02-15-2016, 08:04 PM
Looks good....nice work. I thought you looked pretty smooth. I'd hate to see what I look like sometimes when I'm working and concentrating on something.....might be scary.

Mini_Maple_Men
02-15-2016, 11:57 PM
That is slick! I have never seen a two handed tool work in person! I now need a Patrick 2000 in 3/16 for myself! Patrick, message me with a price if you care to sell another one. Thanks Lee

Fireman
02-17-2016, 09:38 PM
This year we bought a Flush Tec and a 2 handed tool. The Flush Tec for us is a hate and love relationship. We use the clear check valve taps, the Flush Tec works great for that. We used the Flush Tec in the woods for the first time yesterday. It was pretty much impossible to get the tubing on a fitting with barbs, and that was with a 30 second dip time, on a fully charged battery. Some guys love them though, and say they work great. Not sure what we are doing different. I was putting in drops with a 2 handed tool faster than my buddy, at a 3 to 1 ratio. He had to finish getting it on with the one handed tool. It was not windy, and a temp of about 36 degrees. We will keep it though, because we can fly at putting in the clear taps, which has no barbs.

We made a 2 handed tool from the bar clamp idea. We found a basic 2 handed tool for $160 at our local maple dealer, compared to the $330 ones in Leaders catalogue. That was the BEST thing we have bought for putting up lines, money well spent. We even used it where a one handed tool should be used and it worked great. Almost $400 in two tools this year, but it has made working much more efficient. I thought one guy was from Ohio, if you want to check it out, PM me. I would be more than happy to meet up with you so you can check out the Flush Tec.

Bfouts
02-19-2016, 03:49 AM
So I purchased a two handed tool. And I'm glad I did. It is worth the investment. Once I figured out how to get my tubing tight and run my line I was flying!
I figured out how to use the tool in a couple different ways! I don't think the Hot End would've helped me at all yesterday! I installed 24 taps in about 3 hours! I know I will need to re-run some tubing.

Sdave
02-19-2016, 12:44 PM
Hey PSPARR, I can't pm you, says box full

psparr
02-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Hey PSPARR, I can't pm you, says box full

I just cleared some out. Sorry about that.

Vtmbz
02-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Just received a 3/16 tool from Pat. Quick turnaround. Very smooth action. Good alignment. Best Ive used. This will last as long as it needs to. Thanks Pat!

11-Nick
02-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Take it easy. His head will swell.

johnpma
02-26-2016, 07:32 AM
Just received a 3/16 tool from Pat. Quick turnaround. Very smooth action. Good alignment. Best Ive used. This will last as long as it needs to. Thanks Pat! Picture please

Sdave
02-26-2016, 06:25 PM
Received my 3/16 tool from Pat yesterday, it got here quick. Where I live I never get anything quick so he must have shipped within a day of my order. I never used one so I can't compare but it worked perfe4ct on the first try, surprised to find a cutter on it. The wife loves it (she carries the hot water thermos) I told her it was my turn to buy something for myself. Please don't ask me to post a picture, by the time I figure out how to do it, I'll miss the season. Thanks Pat

11-Nick
02-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Picture please

pictures are further back in this thread.

Bfouts
03-02-2016, 10:47 AM
The two handed tool was a great investment! I'm happy I spent the money on it! My first year of putting up tubing and other then not knowing what I was doing at first. Still learning and have a better idea for next year! But the tool made it so easy to put lines up! It's multi uses are great! Thanks for all the feed back!

NHguy
03-24-2016, 07:53 PM
Thanks Pat! What can I say about this guy? makes a great tool- made and sent it to me not knowing me from a hole in the wall. Well thought out, smartly designed, easy to use.

I had done all my reading this year on 3/16 natural vaccuum, but had not been able to acquire all the things I needed to set it up before the season. Was looking forward to next year. Pat's tool arrived today - and I was literally out in my woods planning lines and practicing cutting in drops with some tubing I had left over! All I need to do is make a webbing sling for it to keep it over my shoulder- and I'm off running around my woods!

Thanks again!!!!!!!