PDA

View Full Version : How to leave the pan inbetween boils?

2oldsaps
02-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Have a new 2x3 evaporator and was wondering how to leave the pan when we are done with a boil.

We have only done batch boils in a small pan before so that was easy. We just cleaned the pan.

I have heard that we should leave the pan "sweet". (whatever that means) Does that mean leave some sap in it?

Also any tricks to killing the fire when done?

Appreciate any tips, as we may fire it up this weekend.

Thanks,

2 Oldsaps.

Big_Eddy
02-03-2016, 11:30 AM
The Mason XL is a flat pan evaporator with 4 sections. Typically you would operate this as a continuous flow evaporator, maintaining a constant sap level.

At the end of your day and before you are completely out of sap, draw off your last syrup of the day and stop firing. As the fire goes down, let the remainder of your sap flow into the pan and come to a boil. When the fire is out, you will be left with your usual depth of sap in your pans. Because the last sap entering came up to a boil, it has been sterilized and should last in the pan until your next boil.

You will need to experiment to figure out how much sap is needed for shut down (30 mins worth at least - better to have too much than a dry pan with heat under it). All the sap added to the pan should come up to a boil. Even after the fire is out, there will be further evaporation, but as long as the pan does not go dry, that is not a problem. There will be some mixing of syrup overnight, but the established gradient will essentially stay put.

If the last section of your pan is not quite ready to draw off when you hit the "stop" line on your sap tank, you can draw it off prematurely and store it in a pail, then add it back to the evaporator when you start your next day. Some sugar makers feel this helps to re-establish a gradient in the pans and do it every boil.

If you expect an extended warm period time before your next boil, drain the pans and finish elsewhere, or store refrigerated in a pail until next boil.

You don't "kill" the fire. Just let it go out. If you miscalculate, leaving the door open lets a lot of heat out, and a few handfuls of snow on the coals will cool things off.

johnpma
02-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Good stuff Big Eddy thanks for the wealth of info

2oldsaps
02-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Thank you so much for the coaching. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go. This site is a wealth of knowledge as I am finding out.

I have allot to learn about a sectioned pan and continuous flow. Can't wait to get started.

Take care,

2oldsaps

Big_Eddy
02-03-2016, 05:26 PM
One more thing. You will go through ~100 gallons of sap before you see any syrup out the end (assuming a depth of roughly 1 1/2"). It will seem like FOREVER, but if sap is going in and steam is coming off, then you will eventually get syrup. You likely won't get any syrup your whole first day boiling :(

2oldsaps
02-03-2016, 09:58 PM
That is good information. I'll only have about 50 gallons by the weekend, but was planning on trying out the new rig.

Thanks

BRL
02-04-2016, 07:57 AM
50 Gallons is plenty! Every boil gets easier after 4-5 you won't even have to think about it as you will be in a rhythm! Have fun!

Sugarmaker
02-04-2016, 08:16 AM
You can leave all the cooked sap in the evaporator till the next boil. If it has boiled it will keep till the next run. If it is going to get really cold you might want to dray the near syrup off the evaporator into some containers.
Main thing is to have sap in the pans till the fire goes out.
Regards,
Chris

Rastis
02-07-2016, 07:23 AM
How long will sweet last in the pans? We have a week of cold days coming up. Should I drain the pans so as to not damage the flue pan during a hard freeze? We're looking at a couple of nights of near zero.

2oldsaps
02-08-2016, 02:53 PM
I actually only had 40 gallons to start with and as you suggested, I will need more to see any syrup out the other end. I left about 1" of sweetness in the pan once it cooled down. It was a good first run to try everything out. I now know what I need to do a good boil. This evaporator is much faster than what i was using before. It's boil rate was about 7 GPH with only a natural draft. Gonna be very cold for awhile so not sure when the next run will be. Thanks to all for posting. It all helps.

2oldsaps

2oldsaps
02-08-2016, 02:55 PM
I had the same question. From what I am hearing and reading, it will be fine until the next one.

2oldsaps

Woodsrover
02-08-2016, 03:25 PM
I have the same evaporator plus the fan and ran it for the first time this weekend. Ran 70 gallons through it on Friday night and another 35 through it on Saturday. Started boiling at 10:00 on Sunday and around 3:00 I started drawing off in small batches. By the end of Sunday afternoon I had ran 150 gallons through it, drawn off 1.5 gallons of syrup and left a good inch of concentrate in the pan. I made a cover for mine and it'll sit like that until this weekend (if we get another flow!)

2oldsaps
02-08-2016, 09:43 PM
Good info. We have gone into a freeze in Maine. Be awhile before we see sap again. Covered mine too. Have fun.

ericjeeper
02-08-2016, 10:05 PM
In my short time owning anything beside a flat pan. On my 2x6 hybrid. I draw off 2.5 gallons. Then once I refire,I pour it into the front,where it came from.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CampHamp
02-08-2016, 11:03 PM
I agree with the technique described to re-establish the gradient. I draw off a couple pails at shut-down and pour back the darker pail last when I start back up.

If you have a flat pan, then a freeze with expanding ice shouldn't hurt your pan.

With flue pans, some will keep a light bulb on under the pan, others just let it freeze in the pan. I do the light bulb thing and if I won't be boiling for a while, I put all my back pan sap into 5G pails to freeze.

Re-boil to kill bacteria if there's a long time between runs and your sap is sitting unfrozen.

Andrew Franklin
02-28-2016, 10:21 PM
I agree with the technique described to re-establish the gradient. I draw off a couple pails at shut-down and pour back the darker pail last when I start back up.

If you have a flat pan, then a freeze with expanding ice shouldn't hurt your pan.

With flue pans, some will keep a light bulb on under the pan, others just let it freeze in the pan. I do the light bulb thing and if I won't be boiling for a while, I put all my back pan sap into 5G pails to freeze.

Re-boil to kill bacteria if there's a long time between runs and your sap is sitting unfrozen.

So since the sap has boiled it won't spoil as quickly as unboiled sap? I see that below freezing temps generally aren't a problem with sweet left in the pan, but what about if the forecast is for a couple of days in the 50's before you are able to boil again? Will it stay good through the heat or should I do an extra large draw off when shutting down and then drain the pan before the next boil? Thanks!