PDA

View Full Version : well........syrup anyone??

blissville maples
02-02-2016, 07:26 PM
well i know some have tapped, however i have not. hows folks making out the last few days. a gal per tap per day runs or not quite yet?? what are we making light or amber?? just looking for some info on how the early tappers have made out so far. im so anxious but have held off as of yet, and am not liking all the mud ive been seeing, usually means sap is flowing!! all i can do at this point is talk about it!!!

adk1
02-02-2016, 08:13 PM
A local producer fired up tonight do not know the outcome yet

plattmaple
02-02-2016, 09:29 PM
We are in south western New York and have boiled 3 times and made 35 gal of amber so far. The sugar content was 2.4 sat. but came down to 1.7 today. Our forecasts for the last 4 days have been way low compared to what it ended up. It seems to me that they are using the yearly averages when making the forecast. If it was me, I'd tap now especially if you are using check valves. I think it is going to be short year. I know they can't get the long range right but they keep bumping up the temps every time i look at them.

Germanmaples
02-03-2016, 04:18 AM
We tapped Sunday and we have 600 gallons to boil today. I hoping my hydrometer is broke its reading 1.

highlandcattle
02-03-2016, 05:41 AM
Have 240 gallons sap so far. Most trees frozen. The ones in the far back of property near the swamp are running. Only 1% sap. So Ron is boiling alt to come up with anything. He's happy,so it doesn't matter. Raining hard right now. He can boil today. We have no snow. I'm 64 and have never seen weather like this. Things are changing and quickly. Good luck everyone.

Windy Acres
02-03-2016, 09:50 AM
We made almost 5 gallons last night, but our taps aren't opened up yet, almost 2%

blissville maples
02-03-2016, 05:55 PM
We tapped Sunday and we have 600 gallons to boil today. I hoping my hydrometer is broke its reading 1.

watch it go up as freeze that cycle establishes, minimal sap last 4 days at 1.5%. today however test tree had 1/2 gal at 2.5%. its coming, but now will freeze back up, i think we can all expect some really nice sugar % this spring!! i do believe it will be a good season, due to mother natures "swings"....as we all can hope

Snappyssweets
02-05-2016, 05:40 PM
Just boiled the nearly 20 gallons I got over a couple days.
Nearly 2 quarts finished.
Dark as expected however the flavor is extremely mild. I am surprised by it. I prefer a more robust flavor to the mild flavor. However I wont complain its first of the year. We have a lot of season left to go.

D and D Sugar Camp
02-05-2016, 07:10 PM
Collected 90 gallon this week. Started boiling at 5pm. Last weekend we boiled 45 gallons and ended up with 1.25 Gallons Amber. Looks like things are going to freeze up next week here . Probably get next weekend off, bummer.

mountainvan
02-05-2016, 08:04 PM
About 300 gals of finished syrup. Tapping early with antimicrobial spiles is paying off.

esetter
02-05-2016, 10:34 PM
I feel tiny in this conversation but , 14 gallons collected , 10 gallons
s boiled down. Temps better this week. Was 70's last week. I do enjoy and envy reading you guys up north's progress!

DoubleBrookMaple
02-05-2016, 11:05 PM
All 1.5% here, but my norm is 1.7
I ran 530 gallons through my new home built RO yesterday, and boiled 170 gallons of 4.5% today. Unfortunately I had an issue and burned some syrup. I bottled only 4 gallons of good tasting amber, and also left lots in the pan for next start up.

highlandcattle
02-05-2016, 11:28 PM
Ron finished with about 4 gallons of "robust" but mild flavored. This new grading is stupid. Well worth the earlyctapping. We would be out this little bit. Things are cleaned up and ready to go. Forecast is for cold so itcmsy be a while. Running out in am.m. to pick up jars and a couple of odds and ends. Will bottle this to fill some early orders. Now I can snag him to help get my hen house in order before he starts up again. Hope the sugar %goes up. Takes a lot to boil at 1%. Oh well take what you can get. We have no snow. Never saw this before. Last year we were buried in a blizzard.

mudr
02-06-2016, 05:09 AM
Hope to finish boiling every thing I've collected so far. 98 gallons on 52 taps, 1.8 gal per tap. I still need to collect from the buckets in the yard (12). That should put me at 2 gal per tap so far.

Update- I was incorrect, had 92 gallons of sap. Finished up as 7 quarts of dark/robust. My back calculation says I was running 1.7 percent for sugar (assumingy gallon estimate was good, no sap lost, no sugar stuck to pans, no bacteria eating, etc).

PARKER MAPLE
02-06-2016, 06:41 AM
800+ taps in and 1200 gal of sap on Thursday. Haven't yet boiled as ro is acting up. I'm working on it today. Going to put in another mainline worth of taps tomorrow, apprx 300. Then move to the other side of the property where there's 600 more taps. Then we will do our Weston bush 600+. Then Derry and be all tapped.

D and D Sugar Camp
02-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Ended up boiling 95 gallons yesterday that produced 2.25 gallons of beautiful amber colored syurp. 2.3 %. My average is holding at 2.3% fso far. Wish everyone a great week. Feel free to check my math on my sugar content,I think I am figuring it correctly.