PDA

View Full Version : Submersible food grade pump

Craig M
02-02-2016, 06:16 PM
I've done several searches and haven't had much luck finding answers. Does anyone know of a submersible pump that is food grade? I would prefer a sliding float type but that's not totally necessary. I need something that will pump a few hundred gallons relatively quickly so I don't want a shur flo. Any suggestions are welcome

Rockport
03-25-2016, 08:24 AM
HI, i have used a submersible well pump for 3 years now and its a good fit. I first tried it in a water tank but would only pump down to 4" laying on its side in the tank. The second year I took the pump and put it in a 4" plastic pipe slightly longer with a tee and a 2" quick connect for the tank ,I brought the discharge line out the top of the tee with a 90' deg fitting and added 4" plastic vertical to a height above the top level in the tank,put a cap on it with a hole for the discharge pipe . I then drilled two holes for the wires ,its 240 volt 2wire, put a plug on it for easy disconnect . I am pumping 700' with a 100' lift on a 3/4 hp pump with 1/2 black plastic water line from lowes. If all this makes no sense I have put pictures on my gallery and if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask or pm me ... Good luck .. let me know what you did this year ..

DoubleBrookMaple
03-27-2016, 09:47 PM
Read my post on this thread about sap pumps...
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?27993-Cold-Sap-Transfer-pump
"Food Grade" "FDA Compliant" "Food Safe" "FDA Approved" are terms that are thrown around, and it is important to know what they mean. You DO NOT need a "Food Grade" pump. "Food Safe", yes. You can determine yourself if something is Food Safe. Pump manufacturers will not always advertise, or list it as such, probably for cost, and/or liability reasons.
Here is an article on the difference between "Food Safe". and "Food Grade"..
http://www.rainsaucers.com/blog/2012/11/02/what-is-the-difference-between-food-safe-and-food-grade

Bolen Creek
03-28-2016, 07:18 AM
Rockport, how many gpm will that well pump do under those conditions. We have a similar scenario in one of our woods

GeneralStark
03-28-2016, 07:34 AM
It is generally going to be easier to find transfer pumps, submersible or otherwise, that are designed for potable water as opposed to "food grade". Any well pumps will be good for sap, but if the pump is not specifically rated for potable water it is likely not ideal for pumping sap. This is all of course if you care about such things.

Rockport
03-29-2016, 09:14 PM
Its rated at 6 gpm,its a 3/4 hp 2wire 220v . I am pushing about 700' at 100' vertical. See my pics in my galllery to get an idea on how I use it. If you have any questions please pm me and we can talk more