PDA

View Full Version : small bros 3x10 raised flue, poor boil in front pan

dcsendom
02-02-2016, 02:17 PM
I have a 3x10 lightning, forced draft, preheater raised flue. I just got it setup, and boiled yesterday, I can get a jumping boil in the back pan but, front pan boils good in middle two partitions, poor on sides. not sure if this is a ramp issue, or if I have to put more material in the back to act as a damper to keep heat in more. drafts not an issue. did notice when I packed the ramp and box full of wood, it held the heat back and boiled better.

nymapleguy607
02-03-2016, 06:36 AM
You need to add a heat dam in the back of the arch, Try adding a brick right where the stack collar and the pan meet, that should keep more heat up under the front part of the evaporator

Sugarmaker
02-03-2016, 09:34 AM
When you say forced draft? Is it under fire and over fire too? If you have adjustment on the air system I woulkd try adjusting those first.
Packing wood back in the ramp is probably not the right way to go. If you have only boiled one day, then I would give it a few days of checking things out. Could be type/ size of wood. firing times? Amount of draft????
Regards,
Chris

Bucket Head
02-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Another thing you'll want to seriously consider (assuming it has none) is insulating the arch. Or at least the firebox area. It was a night and day difference with the boil on my original 2.5x6 rig after I installed it.

You'll get it dialed in. Good luck this season!