PDA

View Full Version : Off color sap

Dan W
03-02-2007, 04:07 PM
I have 12 buckets hung in the yard. These are used food stuff containers that have snap on lids. Yesterday I collected about 5 gallons of sap. A couple of the buckets had a little yellow tint to them. Today however, a few of the buckets had at least a gallon of sap and where very yellow with a slight amount of sediment at the bottom. On one tree with three buckets, one was crystal clear, the other two looked like light beer. Last year, my first year, I did not tap this early and only saw clear sap. Is this sap ok to use, or should I dump it out and wait for a better run?

Thanks an advance,
Dan

royalmaple
03-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Boil it up, won't hurt anything. Or bring it over and throw it in one of my tanks.

I have a special piece of equipment at the sugar house that will actually take that yellow sap and after a while turn it light golden brown, or sometimes darker.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
03-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Matt-

You better watch out what kinda of offers you throw out there. You might get something put in your tank you don't want! LOL

royalmaple
03-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Ryan-

Hey I got the cast pieces today. Thanks.

How is this, you can dump what you want in my tanks, but I gotta be there to watch you take a sip first. You drink it you can dump it. That might rule out some "other" yellow sap.

Dave Y
03-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Dan.
Boil everthing you cllect there is sugar in it.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
03-03-2007, 06:05 AM
yeah, that sounds like a better plan. glad you got the pieces.

David Hagelberg
03-03-2007, 09:04 AM
I found that yellow sap was common in trees that had a lot of dead wood, I would dump it or you will get off flavored syrup

Dan W
03-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I boiled what I had today and quit when I had it down to about a quart and a half to finish. It tasted fine to me! It doesn't look like there will be much happening this week. But, I'm sure it won't be long. Can't wait!!