PDA

View Full Version : Vac vs gravity

Germanmaples
02-02-2016, 01:38 AM
I have vacuum trees and gravity along with bucket. My brother always argues the I suck the water past the sugar. I test all my sap from one spot to ten miles away vac and gravity and it never seems to make a difference on sugar content. Is there a anyone else who believes that vacuum has less sugar than gravity? Does everyone suffer when you use vacuum? Where I am I have no choice but vacuum anyways.

BreezyHill
02-03-2016, 06:15 PM
NO worries. You are just harvesting more from the trees. Our operation started back in 1971 and 99.5% of those trees are still living and growing. The .5% have been weather, ice, or wind damaged.

Vacuum makes it so all sap comes to the sugar house. Even those that are 80' below the sugar house and about 1500' away.

Vacuum and ladders makes life far easier than the old days of buckets and collection tanks on wagons, sleighs, and 4x4 trucks.

Some day we will get a team of horses and a sleigh for tours to the bush. Wheel adapters on the sleigh for years like this with no snow.

Ben

DrTimPerkins
02-03-2016, 06:23 PM
I have vacuum trees and gravity along with bucket. My brother always argues the I suck the water past the sugar.

Your brother is wrong. Most of the time there will be no difference. The sugar content may drop under vacuum if there is a long period with no freeze. In that case however you'd be getting NO sap or sugar from gravity trees, but would be getting some from vacuum trees. So the option is getting slightly diluted sap during those times versus none.

Vacuum does not cause more damage to trees.

leaky bucket
02-03-2016, 06:29 PM
That would be reverse _ reverse osmosis lol. Can't pull the water ahead of the sugar that would mean to separate them ! If you could all your tubing would plug up with pure sugar and is that a problem you are having ?

blissville maples
02-03-2016, 06:31 PM
dr. tim, u said vac causes no damage to tree. we've spoken about how high vac on trees >10'' may have reduced growth. as i have quite a few smaller trees do you consider that hurting these size trees??? do u feel there will be any negative impacts to trees of this size in future years i.e premature death or anything of the such.
thanks

DrTimPerkins
02-03-2016, 08:51 PM
dr. tim, u said vac causes no damage to tree. we've spoken about how high vac on trees >10'' may have reduced growth. as i have quite a few smaller trees do you consider that hurting these size trees??

Using vacuum doesn't cause any additional internal damage to the tree beyond that caused by the taphole on gravity. Removal of carbohydrates is a completely different question. Any removal of sugar could have some slight effect on the growth of trees, but typically in larger trees with good crown exposure it is minimal. Now in smaller understory trees it is a different story. They have much less carbohydrate reserves, so high sugar removal has a bigger effect. It is unlikely to kill them outright, but will definitely slow their growth somewhat.

Germanmaples
02-06-2016, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the info. I have been sugaring for years both buckets and lines. I knew I was right and appreciate the support. Made another 5.5 gallons med amber yesterday on 400 please give me sugar. Thanks