PDA

View Full Version : Droplines into bucket on ground vs. Spiles and buckets

Canada Maple
02-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Just wondering if there is any increase in sap production by using droplines into buckets over buckets hung on trees. I am trying to avoid buckets falling off in the wind and possibly increase sap production. On another note, I also have a woodlot with 10 feet of elevation change over 200 feet. I can easily install 3/16 tubing. Wondering if 8 hg of vacuum is still better than traditional buckets. No power in the woodlot so vacuum pump is not an option.

Sandersyrup
02-01-2016, 08:29 PM
I assume that simply having your system enclosed in 3/16 would increase yield due to decrease in contamination. Drop lines into buckets might be a tad better for production. Perhaps better with a check valve spile.

~ John Sanderson

DrTimPerkins
02-02-2016, 03:59 AM
There would be a very small vacuum (1-2" Hg) using 3/16" tubing into buckets and about 8" Hg if you tubed the area with a 10' drop with 3/16" tubing. Sap yield is linearly related to vacuum. The more vacuum you have, the more sap you get.

Canada Maple
02-02-2016, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the info, i made a two handed tubing tool so I will run a little 3/16 and see how it works.

5050racing
02-05-2016, 07:45 PM
My couple trees i have on buckets i use a 5gal bucket drill a hole for your size tubing IN THE SIDE OF BUCKET just below first lip this way you can use the lid keep all things out no rain or bugs most of the time can't get in,just drill hole smaller so tubing fits tight.