PDA

View Full Version : How tall of stove pipe.

sluggish
02-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Looks like I will be stuck boiling outside again this year and I'm wondering how tall I should go with my chimney/stack/whatever it's called. Last year I had a short piece of pipe on there, 3 feet I think, and it didn't seemed to have much draw, if that makes sense. This year I have a different stove but similar setup, has a 6" outlet at the rear for pipe. Is there a minimum I should go as far as height to make it more effective or does it matter? Since I'll be outside, I don't really have much in the way of support for a really tall one. I suppose I could set up a temporary shelter, and extend a couple pieces out to help support it.

Also, for you other guys that boil outside, do you use a screen over the pans, or some other way to prevent the ash from falling in? I definitely had some falling in last year and I don't like the idea of that. Once I'm eventually inside(someday), it won't be an issue.

Thanks.

TerryEspo
02-01-2016, 04:45 PM
I believe the rule of thumb is to have your stove pipe twice the length of your arch, as a minimum. Once you have the longer pipe installed, place an elbow (a 90 degree piece) at the top facing away from your pan.

Hope that helps.

Terry

Big_Eddy
02-01-2016, 05:06 PM
3 concrete blocks, 10' of fence wire and about 30' of rope. Drill 3 small holes equally spaced around the top of the stack and attach 3' of wire to each. Then tie on your 10' of rope and wrap around a cement block. Stand up the stack and pull your blocks out as far as they go. I used solids and they never moved. Be sure to tie flagging to the ropes if your working near them!!!

sluggish
02-01-2016, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys, great ideas.

bcarpenter
02-02-2016, 07:33 PM
I think I read 3x the length of the pan, but I ran 3 24" sections the last couple years with no issues on my 2x3 outside. I did not notice ash in the pan at 6' above the pan. I am glad to see others boil outside.
Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk