PDA

View Full Version : Canning at 180 for shelf stable gold

Samuelvw1
02-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Right now my 8 gallon canned. Is to big for my little batch of syrup that I'm finishing what else can I do or use to make sure my syrup going into my bottles is at least 180 for a shelf stable syrup thanks it should be at least 1/2 gallon when I'm done if that helps

Sam
Shelton,conn

Ray_Nagle
02-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Here's how I can mine, if it helps. Once the syrup reaches my target temp (usually 218.4 deg F), I turn off the heat, and take a spoonful out and let a little bit cool for density testing. I use the spoonful of cooled syrup to check the sugar content on my refractomer. If it tests okay, I pour the still-hot syrup through a cone filter and let it gravity filter into a large bowl. Then the filtered syrup goes into canning jars before going into a large pot with lat least 1 inch of water over the tops of the jars. I then hot water bath the jars for 20 minutes, take them off the heat and wait for the lids to "pop" as they come under vacuum pressure. That's it.

I think my syrup probably isn't getting much below 200 deg F before it goes into the jars, and then the 20 minutes of boiling the jars I'm sure gets the temps up high enough to ensure they're sanitized. I haven't had problems with spoilage.

red dorakeen
02-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Ray_Nagle, What kind of cone filter do you use?

I did my first batch of syrup Saturday. The first pint and a half went thru the filter reasonably fast (though I doubt it was still above 180° after filtering) the rest took a long time. I think it drips out of the tree faster.

Also, if your syrup "isn't getting much below 200 deg F" would it be safe to just put it in sterilized jars and not bother with the canner?

optionguru
02-02-2016, 02:41 PM
I filter through a cone filter with 3 pre-filters into a coffee urn and bottle in mason jars right away. No water bath. I've never had an issue.

psparr
02-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Ray_Nagle, What kind of cone filter do you use?

I did my first batch of syrup Saturday. The first pint and a half went thru the filter reasonably fast (though I doubt it was still above 180° after filtering) the rest took a long time. I think it drips out of the tree faster.

Also, if your syrup "isn't getting much below 200 deg F" would it be safe to just put it in sterilized jars and not bother with the canner?

Try steaming the filter over your pan before you filter. Needs to be pretty moist, but not wet. And prefilters are pretty much a must.

Another way to filter faster through a cone filter, especially if your a small batcher, Is to let your syrup settle a few days in the fridge. Then pour off the clear syrup, heat slowly and filter when at temp.

red dorakeen
02-02-2016, 05:31 PM
Try steaming the filter over your pan before you filter. Needs to be pretty moist, but not wet. And prefilters are pretty much a must.

Another way to filter faster through a cone filter, especially if your a small batcher, Is to let your syrup settle a few days in the fridge. Then pour off the clear syrup, heat slowly and filter when at temp.

I won't be able to get pre filters before my next boil (day after tomorrow) but that decanting after a few days in the fridge sounds good.

I seem to remember reading that reheating too much causes more niter. If I get it into the 180's I hope it will be better for filtering and still keep well.

Thanks for the tip.

I think when the pre filters come I'll try keeping the pot I filter into in a pot of hot water, sort of like a double boiler.

highlandcattle
02-08-2016, 05:13 PM
We have a finishing pan, add the De,turn on the filter press(yeah),pump it to a s s. Bucket dump it into a coffee urn and bottle. After bottling invert glass jars so the lids are getting hot if plastic turn on sides. Don't let containers touch. Then when cool flip them back over. You don't need to water bath can. The containers will be sterilized.

Clinkis
02-08-2016, 05:38 PM
Here's how I can mine, if it helps. Once the syrup reaches my target temp (usually 218.4 deg F), I turn off the heat, and take a spoonful out and let a little bit cool for density testing. I use the spoonful of cooled syrup to check the sugar content on my refractomer. If it tests okay, I pour the still-hot syrup through a cone filter and let it gravity filter into a large bowl. Then the filtered syrup goes into canning jars before going into a large pot with lat least 1 inch of water over the tops of the jars. I then hot water bath the jars for 20 minutes, take them off the heat and wait for the lids to "pop" as they come under vacuum pressure. That's it.

I think my syrup probably isn't getting much below 200 deg F before it goes into the jars, and then the 20 minutes of boiling the jars I'm sure gets the temps up high enough to ensure they're sanitized. I haven't had problems with spoilage.

Although boiling the jars will definitely provide great sanitation, you are running the risk of nitre reforming in the syrup thus ending up with sediment in the bottom of your jars. That is why it's usually recommended bottling around 190 degrees.

Ray_Nagle
02-09-2016, 10:09 AM
Clinkis - It's weird I haven't had a problem with niter after boiling...not sure why. I have had niter before boiling, and I simply let it settle, pour off the good syrup, re-heat, and then can it.

I am probably being overly cautious by doing the hot water bath. But as long as I'm processing such a small amount of syrup, and as long as I don't have niter problems, I'll probably stick with it for insurance against spoilage.