PDA

View Full Version : Need help auf !!!!!!!!!!

JeffB
02-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Need help ! ! !! Auf !!!!
I did my first test boil on the weekend on my home made 2x4 air tight arch. I had a furnace direct vent blower plumbed int rear of fire box under the grates with 6 foot long 1 inch pipes, each pipe had 6 half inch holes drilled in them to direct air toward grates.
I know i was under aired cause i couldnt get stack temp above 500 until I cracked open the door then it went to 700 800.
The problem i have is i just went to modify the main inlet pipe (which is welded in) to increase airflow and the pipe threads tore out . Now i have a 1 inch pipe under the grates that will blow all air directly at the front of the arch.
I can not even think about getting my welder generator back to the sugar bush till summer or fall to modify this problem permanently.

The question i have, do i need to deflect the air upward toward grate or can i leave it as is, and just kinda sorta pressurizing the whole area under the grates.
If i leave it, will it affect the way my front pans will boil with it basically being shot right at the front fire brick under the grates.

If i need to direct it upwards will a piece of metal on a angle like this / work or should I put the metal deflecting it upwards on this angle \ which will direct air upward and toward the font finishing pan..

The reason I am concerned is i have a Patrick Phenuef hybrid pan that will definitely need heat or flames since the front 18 inches is 2 9 inch syrup pans :confused::confused:

mellondome
02-02-2016, 12:20 AM
Unhook the blower from the pipes and just push the air under the grates. Using a pipe with holes will require a high pressure blower to get airflow. Doing this with a squirrel cage blower isnlike running a car with a pluged up air filter.

No, you dont need to direct the air. Just get air in under the fire.