PDA

View Full Version : How much sap to get started?

MunsterMapler
02-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Hey guys I have a 2x4 smoky lake hybrid and was wondering how much sap I'm gonna need to get the ball rolling and start boiling. From what I've read I'm gonna need to get around 150 gallons boiled down before I start to draw off. I'm planning for around 75-100 taps this year. I want to make around 5 gallons if that's possible. Does this sound reasonable?

Big_Eddy
02-01-2016, 09:29 AM
The amount of sap needed to sweeten the pans depends on a number of factors, including sap concentration and depth. As a quick estimate, figure out how much sap your pan holds at your normal working depth and multiply by 20. I did some math a few years back if you want to calculate it. See the link in my signature.

Rule of thumb - 1 bucket = 1 quart of syrup in a good season. Pipeline and vaccuum can double that. You should easily be able to hit your 5 gallon target.

wnybassman
02-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Hey guys I have a 2x4 smoky lake hybrid and was wondering how much sap I'm gonna need to get the ball rolling and start boiling. From what I've read I'm gonna need to get around 150 gallons boiled down before I start to draw off. I'm planning for around 75-100 taps this year. I want to make around 5 gallons if that's possible. Does this sound reasonable?

I made 24 gallons of syrup last year on 59 taps. You should hit your goal lol

My 18x60 raised flue takes about 120-130 gallons to sweeten, and I generally don't get it to full sweet on the first boil.

MunsterMapler
02-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Awesome thanks for the tips, how much sap do you guys usually collect before your first boil?

Big_Eddy
02-01-2016, 09:43 PM
4-6 hours worth minimum.

maple flats
02-02-2016, 04:20 AM
The old rule of thumb was 3 hrs. hard boil gets you to high enough concentration to protect the pans. They may form a slush on top but will not freeze solid.

MunsterMapler
02-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys, I have about 25 taps in right now, but the sap hasn't really turned on quite yet here in northern Indiana. Are you guys just dumping sap untill you collect enough at once to boil? I understand treating it like milk and it doesn't last more than a few days

Big_Eddy
02-02-2016, 06:27 PM
I collect it and store it in a cold place out of the sun until I have enough. If it starts to cloud, I dump and rinse and start again. Typically for me it's too cold for good flows when I start, not too warm, so spoilage is not an issue. You can help it keep longer by adding blocks of frozen sap (from buckets or freezer) to the tank. In cold temps raw sap will keep a week or more.

MunsterMapler
02-02-2016, 06:40 PM
That's what I've been doing, I've only collected about 7 gallons total and its all in my freezer for right now. Once I get a decent flow I'll throw the frozen sap in my 55 gallon storage containers. I'm just getting nervous because the weather here seems to be good for the sap to start flowing, but it doesn't want to produce

Merklin Maples
02-05-2016, 11:17 AM
I collect 1/2 gallon jugs that milk and juice come in. Wash them and rinse well. Then I fill about 2/3 full of water and freeze them. When I use them I place them on a metal fish stringer (used only for sapping) and lower them into my holding tank. I usually use 6 but use more depending on how much sap I am trying to keep cool. When they thaw it is easy to remove them from the tank and then rinse them off and refreeze. I keep enough on hand to be able to refresh the thawed ones with frozen ones.

maple marc
02-06-2016, 08:55 PM
On my 2x6 it takes about 160-170 gallons before my first draw. That includes the 25 gallons to flood the evaporator.

MunsterMapler
02-19-2016, 02:18 PM
I collected about 55 gallons of sap today, do you guys think I have enough to start a boil yet? Have a smoky lake 2x4 hybrid. No hood or preheater so I'm guessing I'll be around 15-20 gph. Just debating if I should fire up or wait untill after I collect tomorrow. This will also be my first boil with my new setup so I don't want to screw anything up.

Big_Eddy
02-19-2016, 05:39 PM
2x4 I'd be waiting for 100 gals or so.

jbutton
02-19-2016, 07:51 PM
I've got the 2x4 hybrid and found it takes between 15 to 20 gallons just to flood the pan so I'd go with atleast 100 gallons.

MunsterMapler
02-19-2016, 09:15 PM
I'm gonna collect in the morning, and see what I get, I'm guessing around 35 gallons. I just don't want to hold on to it too long especially with the 60 degree weather we had here today. Thanks for the help guys