PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 junctions

Mini_Maple_Men
01-30-2016, 07:30 PM
So we ran 41 taps today on our new sugarbush and we ended up with 4 Spurs that tied back together into one 3/16 leader into our gathering tank. We had no taps on the last 40' of line and a pretty good pitch all the way to the tank. What are your thoughts, will this create vaccume? Thanks

Foremaple
01-30-2016, 08:52 PM
That is a good question. From what I learned at a 3/16 tubing seminar last fall, you shouldn't tee several lines together. Only one of them will get the full effect of the vacuum that is created. Its also possible that if one line has higher vac, it could draw sap up the line. Crazy to think about! If you could test the vacuum with a gauge at the top tree of each line, that would tell you if this was true.

maple flats
01-31-2016, 06:21 AM
It will create vacuum, but not as much s you would get if each line went to the tank separately. Do not join more than 1 lateral together. Also, if you ran the 41 taps as 2 lines of 20 or 21 all on 3/16 from start to finish t the tank, you will get better vacuum. While the 3/16 can get vacuum with only a 1 or 2' of drop, you need a bigger drop for great vacuum. 10' ok, 20' much better 30'+ great.

Mini_Maple_Men
01-31-2016, 08:12 PM
I have 4 laterals tied together and each has close to 100' of drop before hitting the single 3/16 into my tank. So is the concensis that I am shooting myself in the foot, the reason I did this is 2 of the laterals have only 8 or 9 trees on them. Thanks

DrTimPerkins
02-01-2016, 01:23 PM
So is the concensis that I am shooting myself in the foot, the reason I did this is 2 of the laterals have only 8 or 9 trees on them.

Yes, I believe that research and producer experience has shown that this is not a good thing to do. Fortunately you can "unshoot" yourself and run each line separately all the way to the tank.

Mini_Maple_Men
02-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info Dr. Tim! With only 8 or 9 trees on a lead will that still create vaccume on a straight run into the tank? I should have around 100 foot after the last tap and approx 30' of drop. Sorry for all the questions. This is all new to me after 20+ years on buckets

DrTimPerkins
02-01-2016, 02:48 PM
With only 8 or 9 trees on a lead will that still create vaccume on a straight run into the tank?

Yes. The vacuum level you get at each tree will depend upon the drop from that tree to the outlet of the tubing. The biggest issue for most former gravity producers is understanding that the tubing system must be tight and leak-free. Even small leaks will decrease your vacuum substantially.

Mini_Maple_Men
02-02-2016, 05:58 PM
So this afternoon I went into the sugarbush and cut out the side leads and ran all of them straight into the tank. Can't wait to see what kind of vaccume I get tomorrow afternoon! Thanks again for the input.

Mini_Maple_Men
02-04-2016, 07:54 PM
This was that we had for vac at my gauge with all 4 leads of 3/16 tied together (40 taps) and we got 6 gallons of sap that day

Mini_Maple_Men
02-04-2016, 08:01 PM
this is the same 4 leads separated and running straight into the tank. I am pretty happy with the vac for a north facing slope and the one with the least vac is in a cold hollow. Got 30 gallons off 40 taps today! Yippee