PDA

View Full Version : To cupola or not to cupola?

Marvel26
01-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Last year was my first and I was completely outside with almost no wind break. I really saw a difference in the boil rate on a calm morning vs when the wind came up mid day.

The 'out-laws' have a shed which I can use, 10X16 or so, with double doors on either end, well one set is on the end and the other is on the side wall of the opposite end (think an L shape for air flow). I was considering building a cupola for it but I would prefer not to cut a hole in a perfectly good roof if I don't have to, plus my father-in-law kinda looked at me sideways when I mentioned it. He's in Florida on his annual migration so when he comes back it may look different anyway ;-)

So, the question is ...could I use it this year without one? If I opened up both double doors?

Thanks

Rob

bigschuss
01-30-2016, 08:33 PM
What's the worse that could happen? If the roof is metal you might get some serious rain back in the building. Even with the double doors open you'll probably have more of a sauna thing going on inside the building. But who cares? Have your buddies over for some beers, strip down and take a sauna and boil your sap! Good luck.

Bucket Head
01-30-2016, 11:29 PM
As the phrase goes- it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Build a nice cupola (which will add some character) and then say something like, "I had to. The wood, rafters, plywood, etc. were getting very wet from the steam and I didn't want them to deteriorate. With the doors open everything is dry as bone now".

Take some "steamy" pictures and then take a clear "steamless" one and then you can say, "see the difference!".

Good luck!

Russell Lampron
01-31-2016, 04:35 AM
It will be much easier to boil if you can get the steam out through the roof but what it all comes down to is how well your in laws like you. If you do build a cupola will they be upset enough to kick you out and ban you from the family? If you think they will like the finished product go for it. If you think it's going to cause problems with your relationship with them don't do it and just be thankful that you are indoors.

johnallin
01-31-2016, 08:38 AM
Don't cut any holes in your father in law's roof without asking first.

adk1
01-31-2016, 08:05 PM
Hard sayin. I wouldn't dare nit personally

Marvel26
01-31-2016, 08:08 PM
The good thing is the in-laws love me....even when I lovingly call them the 'out-laws' lol. Seriously, even though my father-in-law looked at me weird he wouldn't care as long as it was rain proof. I'm more concerned with time before the run starts here. it has been crazy mild all winter as compared to last year which was -30 to -40 until march and then it warmed up to -10. Add the possibility of an early run with the honey-do list and time becomes an issue.

Would a fan mounted at the top of the door sucking/blowing the steam out work?

little bettah flavah
02-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Any ideas on putting a couple of whirly bird vents in my roof to draw out the steam any ideas or comments will help

Ed R
02-05-2016, 03:28 PM
How tall are your doors? I would build a " steam hood" out of 6-mil poly sheeting and 1xs and anchor it somehow above your evaporator. Cut in a duct or two, either metal or wire reinforced poly duct and run it out the top of the door you don't use as much or a window. How are you dealing with your smoke stack?

Marvel26
02-05-2016, 06:56 PM
A poly steam hood might work....the stack I was going to angle out the door IF I don't build the cupola.

adk1
02-05-2016, 09:31 PM
I built the poly hood thing this year all the way up to the cupola. Hoping it helps with the rain affect I get on my metal room.

DoubleBrookMaple
02-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Perfect timing....

I built a cupola on my little converted 10x14 "barn" (no kidding, my mother-in-law kept her horse in it).
There are three windows and two barn doors that open up. I have always had a problem with steam. Today... Yes, today, early in my boil, there was so much steam vapor in the pans I could not see the boil, or sap level. It was only through quick action I saved burning my pan, and only the syrup. I shut down and flushed my front pan, and continued. I have a 5 gallon bucket of Very dark sweet to show for it.
Guess what my next build is?

Cupola 2014...

With added windows I open up

maplerookie
02-06-2016, 05:13 AM
I have a similar situation..even with doors open you will get a lot of steam hanging around. my thought was to get an 8 inch drainage pipe suspend it high on the ceiling attach a fan to one end plug the other end and draw off the steam through the drainage holes ..will have to put an opening in the end wall for exhaust port. But may be better than damaging roof of father outlaw.

Marvel26
03-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Well....i considered my options and decided not to put a hole in my father-in-law's roof.....until he migrated back.

So here is the plastic steam hood set up....took about 2hrs to get the arch, pan, and hood set up. 1398413984139851398513984

Marvel26
03-25-2016, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure what happened there....i had different pictures selected but the computer appears to only like those two over and over. Lol

Lethalbowman
03-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Without the Cupola I added to my Sugar Shack it would be a sauna in there.

Marvel26
03-25-2016, 06:26 PM
If I don't crack the side door I get a back draft which 'saunafies' the shed.

maple maniac65
03-26-2016, 04:55 AM
Is that a fan inside your hood?

Marvel26
03-26-2016, 05:44 AM
At the open end of the hood to suck the steam out. It gets quite wet so I may move it to the front to push it instead.