PDA

View Full Version : surge alamo motor

brookledge
03-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Has anybody ever had to replace a motor on a surge vacuum pump that is 1.65HP. First of all I went to check to see if the sap had stopped running and was going to shut the pump off, well it was awful quiet and I knew something had happened. Got there and it was still smoking and hot the breaker had tripped. What a bummer. Atleast it wasn't on a good running day.
Well my question is, If anyone has replaced a 1.65 have you replaced with a larger motor? As far as I can tell surge probably had these motors specially made for them. Looking at a catolog for new ones I would say I have to go to a 2 Hp motor I can get a 1.5 Hp for about 50 bucks less but would that be too small?
Keith

Russell Lampron
03-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Keith,

I think a 1.5 hp motor should work just fine. It is only .15 hp less than the 1.65 hp motor. I think it would be more important to get one that turns the same rpm's.

Russ

Parker
03-02-2007, 05:17 AM
I dont know for sure,,just a guess but would the smaller moter have a harder time starting the load and not last as long?

Russell Lampron
03-02-2007, 05:34 AM
I'm not sure about Surge pumps but Delaval used different size motors on the same pump. 73's came with either 1/2, 3/4 or 1.5 hp motors. 75's had different size motors too.

Russ

lmathews
03-02-2007, 06:27 AM
The most important thing you need to do is take the pully into consideration.My experience is if you go to a smaller motor,or a larger you might have to change the pulley on the motor.You should talk to a vac pump dealer to get better specs.As far as cold starts you would be better off going to a 2hp motor,and i think you should be ok to use the same pulley.I run a surge alamo 50plus w/5.5honda at 22".I have the original 3hp that I took off and will use when I switch over.Hope this helps.A vac dealer I call to get my info from is Becks (315)287-2581.

maplehound
03-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Are you running this motor off a generator? My experience has been that my 5000 amp generator won't run a 2 hp motor but will a 1.5 hp motor when wired for 220. Also why did this motor kick the breaker? areu sure your problem is the motor? It could be that your pump is all gummed up. Try filling the pump with deisel fuel and let sit full for a night or couple hours, then empty it and let the oiler get the bearings oiled good before putting a load on it. This will put much less load on the motor. I had this problem 2 years ago and was told by a dairy dealer to do this and it worked great and saved me the cost of a new motor.

brookledge
03-02-2007, 09:18 PM
There is nothing wrong with the vaccum pump just the motor. When I took the motor off today and began looking at it I realized that the shaft turned very hard so its demise probably started from a bad bearing. Then the question is was there any damage to the armature or windings from being so hot. I thought about taking it to a motor repair shop but I know like any repair shop it will take a while before I can get it back. I bought the unit from a dairy farmer a few years ago and he said it was old but still worked good. I have gotten 4 or 5 years of use out of it so if I have to replace the motor I can live with that.
I temporarily put a 1HP on it and the pulley is smaller so the pump turns slower. It only goes up to 10" of Hg. now so I'll get a larger pulley but will still keep it smaller than the one that was on the larger motor.
Keith