PDA

View Full Version : Newbie first boil

USMCLtcol
01-30-2016, 07:29 AM
Got 15 gallons of sap this week so started a boil this morning. Nothing fancy but getting it done. Turkey fryer to boil and grill side burner to preheat.

psparr
01-30-2016, 09:06 AM
First. On the assumption of your user name, Thanks for your service!

Second, welcome to the addiction!

Evets
01-30-2016, 10:19 AM
Pancakes tomorrow!:cool:

USMCLtcol
01-30-2016, 03:28 PM
So now that I have been bitten by the maple bug I see the need to evaporate quicker. I have an old Franklin Wood stove that I may try to adapt into a 2x3 arch. Anyone ever used a wood stove for the fire box?

psparr
01-30-2016, 03:51 PM
There are a bunch of threads on that. My only suggestion to you would be, if you have a scrap yard or another place nearby to pick up metal cheap, as I am fortunate to have. You'd be better served to make an arch than spend the time modifying a wood stove. That is if you have the tools to do so.

2oldsaps
01-31-2016, 05:59 AM
Our first year we used an old Jotul woodstove that the top was removable. With the top removed, we inserted an 11 X 20 X 6 chaffing pan inside. This set-up managed a boil rate of ~ 1.5 gal/hr boil rate. Pre-heating sap on a propane turkey fryer got us to ~2 gal/hr.

Good luck and enjoy.

2oldsap

Run Forest Run!
01-31-2016, 10:53 AM
So now that I have been bitten by the maple bug I see the need to evaporate quicker. I have an old Franklin Wood stove that I may try to adapt into a 2x3 arch. Anyone ever used a wood stove for the fire box?

I'd scrap the preheat on the BBQ (the BTUs aren't usually high enough on the side burners to really get things going) and purchase a second turkey fryer to use this year. Then you'll have two pans on a serious boil. Once you've got Year One under your belt, work out the kinks for next year.

USMCLtcol
01-31-2016, 07:16 PM
Sweet success

With a nice dark Amber color

Evets
01-31-2016, 07:20 PM
That looks great! Well done!

Marvel26
01-31-2016, 08:31 PM

I tried a small wood stove 2 yrs ago when I was testing my addiction. I found the fire was bypassing the pan and going right up the chimney, I could barely get a boil in the front once the density got a little higher. Last year I made an oil tank evaporator, all the pieces I cut out were used to make the arch and the "forcing cone" leading to the stack. I bought a Vogelzang Deluxe door and stack kit which bolted on easily.....after I pounded the front out straight that is. She's not pretty but she's mine lol Total time was 2 days total cost was about $80, $60 for the door kit and $20 in angle and rod iron. Oh and if you do weld one up DON't use 3/8" rod iron as a grate.....I did.....now I have to replace it this year.

Rob

Zucker Lager
02-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Hey Ben and Rob:
Just for your info I found out that I could get 3/4 inch re bar from my local concrete place and it comes pre cut to any size you need for free you just pay for how many feet you need......and its cheap. I'm using that on my 2 by 3 arch build. If I can get into town tomorrow I'm picking it up and will post pictures of the grate. Jay

Marvel26
02-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Hmmmm....rebar you say....I honestly didn't think about that. Good call!

Zucker Lager
02-22-2016, 10:56 PM
I did post pics on my 2 by 4 Hobby Arch Build but forgot to post here the re bar seems to have worked out good we'll give it a season or two and see. its #6 so at the outside diameter of the "bumps" its about 3/4 inch. Cost all of $25. I will spot weld every other end into the brick ledge leaving the opposite end loose to float when it expands so it doesn't bust things up. Jay

Big_Eddy
02-23-2016, 08:45 AM
I did post pics on my 2 by 4 Hobby Arch Build but forgot to post here the re bar seems to have worked out good we'll give it a season or two and see. its #6 so at the outside diameter of the "bumps" its about 3/4 inch. Cost all of $25. I will spot weld every other end into the brick ledge leaving the opposite end loose to float when it expands so it doesn't bust things up. Jay

Just tack them so you can get them out easily. Eventually they will need replacement. I get 1-2 years out of a grate before it needs replacement.