PDA

View Full Version : More proof that check valve taps work

CampHamp
01-29-2016, 05:15 PM
I started tapping in NH today, reluctantly. I was afraid I might impact my late runs by going in this early.

While I was tapping, I found a tree that I had left a tap in from last year. Stupid. The thing that was amazing was that the line had sap in it and the tap was dripping!

It was one of those seasonal check-valve spiles and the hole never healed.

No more worries about starting the season early...

blissville maples
01-29-2016, 06:40 PM
guess we don't need to untap, a permanent taphole port!! must be a split leading into old taphole exposing some fresh wood, would be hard to believe theres live wood in the hole still.

unc23win
01-29-2016, 06:58 PM
must be a split leading into old taphole exposing some fresh wood, would be hard to believe theres live wood in the hole still.

As the kids would say haters gonna hate.

WESTMAPLES
01-29-2016, 07:11 PM
second that ive used CV2`s even with issues and hearing other rant over them. they work great in my sugar bushes and thats awesome to hear that it was still dripping after all those months

1arch
01-29-2016, 07:21 PM
I love using the cv's also and have occasionally found taps from the previous season also however our forgotten taps were caked with debris when examined.
We consider a forgotten tap a demerit for the person responsible for that portion of the bush. Now in light of your findings if these cv's are still flowing a year later then I would suggest no demerit and more of an ata boy for saving labor.

mapleguy
01-30-2016, 06:44 AM
Blissville, I'm not sure what the issue is here, but if you doubt cv's work as advertised , then don't use them!

nhmaple48
01-30-2016, 11:16 AM
to smart for one man,not quite smart enough for two!!!!!!

CampHamp
01-30-2016, 05:06 PM
I think blissville was saying that it's strange to be getting sap through dead wood and that there must be a crack in the wood (not the tap) that would expose the hole to some fresh flow... I didn't read anything bad from his post about cv taps.

Mark-NH
01-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Blissville is a little down on CV's.

blissville maples
01-30-2016, 08:32 PM
haha, come on folks. i am running about 1200 of them. for those of you that think a hole will stay open for 12 months you really ought to learn a bit about a tree!! right camphamp is a bit weird or that hole to be actively open still. aren't we concerned with early tapping and premature hole closure?? well how does a hole stay fresh for 12 months??? a big LOL it doesn't and cant. have you ever not seen a split in a tree between two large opposing halves, they are sometimes dark there??? there dark b/c they crack through even the fresh cambium and leak constantly hence why they are usually protruding outward, keeps trying to heal. you can bet there is a crack, probably from not being able to heal, that's leaking into the hollow hole. but hey whatever, you can listen or think im hatin, either way i don't really care but will always give u my best 2 cents and am often right, proofs in the pudding

ryebrye
01-31-2016, 10:18 AM
The real reason its dripping: It's a hollow tree and the hole is directly below a squirrel's restroom.

Don't worry though, the squirrel is diabetic so the liquid will still be a little sweet.

;)

blissville maples
01-31-2016, 07:11 PM
lol, wondered about that, have maple tree with porcupine living in it, bottom full of poop, was thinking that would be some pretty ronchy sap, i passed it up!!!