PDA

View Full Version : tapping in Orange County

georgelineman
01-29-2016, 08:29 AM
Looked at the long range forcast and it looks good (if its correct) going to get my 75 taps in Monday thats about 18 days early for me. Orange County, Cornwall,NY Hope everyone has a great season!
George (Now Retired Lineman ) Your next 5050!

red dorakeen
01-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Hi George,

I tapped Monday (1/25) afternoon over here in Pleasant Valley.

The forecast looked right and being my first try at this perhaps I'm over anxious.

Looks like by the time I collect today and tomorrow (during the boil) I'll have about 20 gallons.

9 taps (got shorted one spout in my order)

Jonnie Maple
01-29-2016, 12:58 PM
I put in 5 taps this morning, started running right away. It's snowing here now. Will put out my other 25 tomorrow maybe.

Hurlmon
02-15-2016, 09:46 AM
Tapped Yesterday.

George, curious how it been since you've tapped? I'm, curious what i missed. Work travel made earlier than yesterday impossible for me.

Maple88
02-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Glad to see a bunch of y'all got tapped early. I was really debating it. Tapped last week of Jan been busy since! Good season so far! Already have 5 gallons in hand and the last couple of days were mighty indeed - at least 80 gallons of sap in hand for boiling this weekend and probably at least a gallon a tap tomorrow if it warms and gets sunny like it says it will.

MaverickNJ
03-12-2017, 06:10 PM
How is everyone in Orange County doing this year? I'm setup in Blooming Grove. This is my first season; I have 15 gravity taps in and I've finished about 1.25 gallons. It ranges from gold (early stuff) to super dark (the sap collected on 3/10). The forecast looks promising towards the end of the week. Hope everyone is having a good season!

mastercat
03-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Hi Maverick, I'm over in Campbell Hall also in my first season. Just wondering what your using to boil (I'm using kitchen stove)

MaverickNJ
04-12-2017, 05:21 PM
Hi Maverick, I'm over in Campbell Hall also in my first season. Just wondering what your using to boil (I'm using kitchen stove)

I started on my stovetop too when I only had 8 taps in. When I expanded to 20 taps, my sap yield was getting to be too large to manage a boil on the stove. I then purchased a 20 gallon stock pot from my local Restaurant Depot and use my 200,000 BTU Gas One turkey fryer base. It was much faster to boil more sap. I finished the season with 2.75 gallons of the greatest syrup on the planet! How did you do?

master
03-18-2018, 03:52 PM
Just put out a few more taps today! Several of the taps I put out in February have dried up or really slowed. S
o, with this weather, I might as well keep boiling!

Ghs57
03-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Keep boiling as long as the wood holds out! (unless you are on propane)

I'm over last years totals, and it looks like we still have a ways to go. Just hope I can hold out to the end.