PDA

View Full Version : Softening tubing- hot water- propane torch,,,,,whatelse ???

TerryEspo
01-28-2016, 09:08 PM
If I could afford a tubing tool, I would not post this.

I am sure there are many of us in the forest not using a tool to connect our fittings.

Just lately read a post about a propane torch to soften tubing, I have always used a thermos with hot water (pain in the butt).

Is there other tricks out there that others can share with us "no tubing tool" folks ?

Thank-you.

Terry

lpakiz
01-28-2016, 10:32 PM
For mainline, I use a cleaned out tin can, like a soup can, and a propane torch. Get the water steaming and hold the tube in the water maybe 20-30 seconds. It will push right on. Laterals are way faster yet. Biggest trouble is holding the can while heating. Maybe a small sauce pan, with a handle, would be better.

maple flats
01-29-2016, 04:30 AM
The hot water works well, but if you get the tubing too hot it will not hold or seal on the fitting well. Also, try to only heat the end and only up to a slight ways more than the part that will go over the fitting, if you heat it too far past what is needed the tubing will buckle as you try to push it on.
While hot water will work, try to make a tool or hire a friend to make one, they can be made for a small fraction of what the maple companies sell them for. Another option is to borrow one for an install project and return it when finished.
Using a torch can work, but it is very risky and you can soften it too much real quick.

Jim Brown
01-29-2016, 06:35 AM
Get a Stanley qt thermos Take out the screw in plug replace it with a real cork and drill a hole in the cork the same size as 5/16 tubing. Fashion a sling and through it over your shoulder Fill with boiling hot water and go. It will remain hot for several hours .Worked for us until we bought tools

Jim

BreezyHill
01-29-2016, 08:35 AM
If I could afford a tubing tool, I would not post this.

I am sure there are many of us in the forest not using a tool to connect our fittings.

There is an old system that worked well in my area for decades and is still working today.

COOP Cooperative...a few to several producers get together and pool their resources to purchase a piece of equipment.

Find a couple other producers in your area and buy one together. Then share the tool. You may even find a guy that has one and will say here barrow mine. Other wise the thermos, tin can to reheat with a torch all worked well for us over the years.

Not as well as a tool thou.

Good Luck!

Maplesapper
01-29-2016, 09:20 AM
We push a closed pair of needle-nose pliers into the tubing.
It has the effect of flaring the end of the tubing for a few moments.
Then quickly jam the fitting into the tubing.
A lot easier to carry then a thermos.

mellondome
01-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Thermos like Jim stated, but use glycerin instead of water. Then you have a backwoods version of the hot end pack.

eustis22
01-29-2016, 10:25 AM
what kind of glycerin, vegetable?

mellondome
01-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Probably cut the glycerin 50/50 with water.
Purified glycerine , not vegetable oil or home made, available through local maple dealers. Also used in r/o membrane storage .

Jim Brown
01-29-2016, 12:08 PM
And Cheep also!!

adk1
01-29-2016, 12:20 PM
I use the thermos with hot water trick. used it last weekend to fix my saddles and used it on the 3/4" mainline. no issues. the only way to go without distorting your lines.

blissville maples
01-29-2016, 06:51 PM
maybe try a hand strengthening tool in off season, lol. mainline can be a beach when its cold, gotta twist it and force it on, let the animal out!! yea the semi rigid sux, occasionally when below 20 and working i just wet it with your tongue, or snow only takes a little moisture, but most of the time grrrrr..... ive done drywall for years and have two built in vices that come in very useful for this, don't ever play peaknuckles with a drywaller!!!

Starks sugarbush
02-14-2016, 07:56 PM
We have always used torches a little trial and error to figure out how much heat to give it. I don't know if it will work with tubing on vacuum but don't know why not if your careful.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk