PDA

View Full Version : Size suggestion help.

Ian MacMillan
01-28-2016, 08:11 PM
My wife and I are ready to start building our sugarhouse after boiling outside for a few years and with the lack of deep snow in this part of NH I'm able to still get it done this year.

We have a small hobby operation, about 100 taps with a future potential of 150 taps total. I really have no desire to go any larger than that at this point on this property.

I've looked at a few designs but figured I'd throw out our "specs" out here to see what others suggest for this small of an operation. I have a home built oil tank evaporator but eventually may pick up a Mason 4'XL units as he is right down the road from us. I plan on having a small shelf for a canner and canning.

I'd looked at building a 12x16 and am wondering if the masses suggest this size; or something slightly smaller? I'd be building this myself.

Like I said this is a hobby operation and if I never decided to signinificantly expand it would be on a different property and built for that size operation.

Thanks,
Ian

morningstarfarm
01-28-2016, 08:22 PM
Its too small...would go just as big as you can...I have never ever heard a sugar maker say his sugar shack is too big...

Ian MacMillan
01-28-2016, 09:38 PM
12x16 is the largest I'm willing to go. Like I said if and when I want to go larger it will be on another property, most likely dedicated to the operation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CampHamp
01-28-2016, 10:30 PM
My sugar house is 12x14 and I have a 2x6 evaporator. There's enough room in there for a 1/2 cord, 18"x5' side table, shelves and 2-burner stove. I also have an extra 7' over-hang in front for wood storage. My head tank is outside the back (not inside). It's a comfortable size for me. If I had expected groups of people over then I would have gone bigger - but I've never had more than 6 to host at a time, so it's been the right size for me.

If you lived closer, I'd invite you over...

Michael Greer
01-29-2016, 05:20 AM
Visit some other syrup makers with similar sized operations. Spending a little time in a working sugarhouse will show you what works, and what you could do better.

Big_Eddy
01-29-2016, 09:59 AM
12x16 is the largest I'm willing to go. Like I said if and when I want to go larger it will be on another property, most likely dedicated to the operation.

I run 150 - 200 taps a year.
My sugar barn is 12'x20' with a storage loft 12'x12'
I have my 20"x64" evaporator installed at one end perpendicular to the long axis (and to the cupola - steam doesn't care)
I have a 200 gal tank elevated inside the shed acting both as primary storage and head tank.
I do not finish or bottle in the sugar shack. That's done up at the house.

I wouldn't want to be much smaller, but my loft lowers the ceiling and my storage tank eats up a lot of space. I back my collection trailer inside to empty and store it there whenever it's not in the way so that takes up another chunk of space much of the time.

I think you need to draw out a layout or two to scale and see what will work for you. Attached is a sketch of mine for comparison.

optionguru
01-29-2016, 12:14 PM
My sugar palace is 14x16 and it's just right for my 125 tap operation. I have a home built 3.5x5 evaporator. I know it's a touch bigger than you want to go but the added with makes a big difference if you have a lot of friends stopping by to "help".

Sugarmaker
01-29-2016, 06:22 PM
I would not go any smaller than you have planned. This hobby tends to grow and can consume massive amounts of space. Can you put the wood storage in a add on lean to?
Regards,
Chris