PDA

View Full Version : Is there a maximum length between trees

Stewart McCallister
01-28-2016, 11:26 AM
I just have a small backyard setup. Last year I tapped 10 trees with 5/16 spiles with tubing into home depot buckets. I am replacing my buckets with food grade buckets this year. I want to keep the number of buckets I need to a minimum as I don't have a lot of play money this year. Can I use the 5/16 tubing I already have to connect multiple trees together? Is there a recommendation as to how far apart the trees can be. I tried doing this last year but when things warmed up the lines started sagging and I just reverted to putting a bucket under each tap. Any suggestions are appreciated.

maineboiler
01-28-2016, 11:47 AM
I connect 4-8 taps to 5 gallon buckets with drop lines and Y connectors. As long as the collecting bucket is below the taps they drain though gravity and surface friction. You will have to collect often, the buckets fill fast

unc23win
01-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Really you could do as many taps as you want, but if you put too many together you will need a larger container than 5 gallons. I did see a classified ad on here for food grade buckets for $3? (A week or so ago) and I am thinking they might have been in Maine.

Normally you would want your 5/16 lines shorter than 100' but that isn't necessarily a priority in all situations.

maple flats
01-28-2016, 03:16 PM
As far as the tree spacing, it is not important except for the cost, but each line should be tight and if you have much over 15-20' between them a post of some sort is a good idea. The post can be as simple as a firing strip cut the right length and put something to attach the tubing at the right height. If the ground is soft, a cross piece at the bottom to act as a foot helps.

optionguru
01-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Totally different idea, I've gone to the local grocery store bakery the last two years and they've sold me their frosting buckets for $1 each. They're food grade and usually come in 2.5, 4 and 5 gallon sizes. Can't beat the price.