PDA

View Full Version : Acquired set up bush

NHTREEGUY
01-28-2016, 06:05 AM
I have a been given the go ahead to use a bush that is already set up. To what extent I am not sure. Its all gravity, supposed to be 400 or so taps. The trees have not been tapped for the season and was told it was not tapped last year. My question is should I go ahead and tap it then look and fix leaks, weak connections, etc. or do that before hand? I meet with the landowners Saturday and just trying to have a game plan. Thanks in advance!

Sugarmaker
01-28-2016, 06:42 AM
Get some supplies and be ready to make minor repairs.
I would walk all the lines and check things first. Much easier to make repairs when the system is dry than wet. Just my opinion.
400 taps should be able to be reviewed in a hour. Possible repairs another 3 hours??? Then you should be ready to drill some holes.
Good luck.
Regards,
Chris

NHTREEGUY
01-28-2016, 06:51 AM
That was my thought. I am ready to go with supplies not figuring on a bush set up. Thanks for the reply. Ill try to remember pictures. This is a huge jump for me. Im excited yet nervous.

Sugarmaker
01-28-2016, 07:18 AM
How big of a jump? How many taps did you have prior? And how big is your arch? Boiling rate?
On a good run on good trees I would expect you to get between 1 gallon and 2 gallons of sap per tap.
Regards,
Chris

NHTREEGUY
01-28-2016, 08:23 AM
Going from 2x4 flat pans with at our most was I think 100 or more taps. This year 2x6 raised flue back pan flat front pan shooting for 500 taps. Expecting a big learning curve.