PDA

View Full Version : Poconos 2016

Maplewalnut
01-27-2016, 12:32 PM
Well, not sure what to think of the extended forecast but I am drilling trees today after work. If nothing else I like the early run to work out any bugs, leak check and make sure I remember how to put syrup in barrels. Hope to be all tapped on Saturday after a few years of seeing no difference in check valves and cdl smart spouts, I will be 100% smart spouts this year. The season just ends too quickly this far south in PA to reap any reward in check valves. Time will tell, Heck the tree buds are half swelled now after the December we had!! Good luck to maple land this year.

Mike

unc23win
01-27-2016, 12:44 PM
Well, not sure what to think of the extended forecast, The season just ends too quickly this far south in PA to reap any reward in check valves. Time will tell, Mike

I agree with you about the forecast and check valves and as you said time will tell. Right now where I am we don't have the snow like last year to deal with either.

Good luck

Z/MAN
01-27-2016, 09:39 PM
With all gravity taps and making most of our syrup the beginning of April the last couple of years I am going to wait a few more weeks. The second week of Feb is usually good for us.
Paul

Maplewalnut
01-31-2016, 06:51 PM
All taps are in and surprising little tubing damage at this point. One bush around 22 inches one at 21. Still have a few leaks to find but a good start. Sap is rolling in and we will be boiling tomorrow . Boy was it nice tapping in 6 inches of snow instead of 2 feet like the last few years.

Maplewalnut
02-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Woke up to full tanks...first run was 1gpt of 1.75 sugar sap
I'll take it

Maplewalnut
02-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Made some syrup over the past week, great tasting dark. A lot of muddy sugarsand. Almost filtering like end of season. Leaks are mostly fixed and vacuum is up. Blew a belt on an sp-22 but luckily we heard it and didn't miss any time getting it replaced. Tanks are all cleaned but looks like we will be froze up for next week at least.

Cabin
02-08-2016, 07:59 AM
Got my taps in Saturday and set up the flue for the arch Sunday. All ready for the snow. ;)

Maplewalnut
02-20-2016, 06:23 PM
Sap ran OK today but not as well as expected for a 55degree day. Vacuum is up and systems are tight. Will boil tomorrow and looks like it may run all night.

Maplewalnut
02-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Everything going well. Boiling 12-15% concentrate and filling barrels. The few buckets we have out aren't producing much sap and very low sugar on average from both reds and sugars but we will make hay while the sun is shining. Seems like we may get a couple more days of sap before the next hard freeze up.

Maplewalnut
03-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Sap has run really well the last few days as it seems like it has in much of maple land. Sugar unfortunately took a nose dive, yesterday's sap was at about 1.25. That hurts even with an RO. Buckets under performing this year even on days it should be drip, drip, dripping. Had a releaser hang up that cost me about 12 hours of sap otherwise everything seems to be running well. Went from medium to dark syrup, all is tasting awesome this year. Looks like a few days cold this week to clean evaporator and get ready for another round.

Maplewalnut
03-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Like everyone else I am not liking the extended forecast. Finished up the last run of sap yesterday. Sap is still clear and should still be good after this current cold snap. Will drain pans tonight and soak overnight to clean. Next run should be good but not sure what to expect after that. I am going to predict sugar content for the season will be on average the lowest I have ever had.

Maplewalnut
03-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Drips and drabs here the last few days. Temperature never got as warm as it was forcasted. Today and tomorrow might be it for sap flow. I'll keep the pumps on until Friday at this point hoping for a drastic change in temperatures but not to optimistic. Open House is this weekend, Going to try and save sap from whatever I get Wednesday thru Friday. I hope for a better season for those of you up north who haven't started yet. Right now sitting at about .2gpt

Mike

Cabin
03-08-2016, 07:56 AM
I hope the weather man is wrong. But I fear this week will be the end for me, the bees have started bringing in pollen. I guess I will be combining the last boil of the year with the de-winterizing of the hives tomorrow. This may be the first time I have only had three boils for the season.

Maplewalnut
03-09-2016, 07:23 PM
Great run yesterday and another gpt today. Believe it or not sap is highest sugar percent it has been all year. Had all intentions of turning off pumps tonight but wife convinced me to ride it out a little longer. Buds are swelling a little on reds but sugars are still tight. No sign of ropey sap in fact it was still clear this afternoon. Still no freezing temps in sight but another day or two of sap is a welcome relief to a short season.

Z/MAN
03-09-2016, 08:48 PM
Maplewalnut, Same boat here. Still flowing nice and clear since Monday morning.

Maplewalnut
03-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Report from the home front is the sap has all but stopped even under 23 inches vacuum. I will boil today and finish out. I'll leave the pump on one bush in case we get a freeze Friday night otherwise I end 2016 March 10. In comparison I first tapped March 6 last year.

doocat
03-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Also slowing here. Hanging on for Friday and maybe a freeze.. We will see.

Maplewalnut
03-14-2016, 02:12 PM
We are done. Thankful for what we have but not too happy as it is a full month on average earlier than usual. Even with a 'freeze' coming this Friday , the trees down here are going to need more than a couple hours below freezing to reset. Reds are budding sugars are still tight but not for long. I would guess 65-70% of crop.