PDA

View Full Version : Covering your pan?

eustis22
01-27-2016, 12:25 PM
I boil my 2 X 3 outdoors although the area is roofed over. What do people use to cover their pans between boils? Right now I use a sheet of plastic after cool down to keep out water and debris but I'd like to use something more durable that won't shed crumbs into my concentrate.

wnybassman
01-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Back with my old outdoor rig I covered it with a cover I fashioned from a couple pieces of 3'x3' sheet aluminum I got from the hardware store. I bent the edges with my aluminum trim brake for added rigidity.

Marvel26
01-27-2016, 04:49 PM
I use a piece of plywood wrapped in heavy plastic. I wipe it down between boils. I do like the idea of metal though as I wouldn't have to wait for the temp to drop.

maple flats
01-27-2016, 08:04 PM
Even though I'm in a sugarhouse, everything gets covered, the outside tanks all have covers, the head tank (outside) is covered, the 3 float boxes all are covered, the hood covers the flue pan, the syrup pan is covered, the 2 draw off boxes are covered, my draw off tank is covered, my finisher is covered, the 2 draw off boxes are covered, the finisher draw tank is covered, the canner is covered and the drain pan under the filter press is covered. All of these have covers I either formed myself or I had made at a sheet metal shop made of SS except the finisher draw tank and the filter press drain pan which have an aluminum cover.
There are too many things that could get in to chance it IMHO.

eustis22
01-28-2016, 06:41 AM
Everything? Huh. All my tanks and buckets and anything else like that has covers. I did find a mouse nest in my AUF pipe, though.

>as I wouldn't have to wait for the temp to drop.

See, I don't want condensation to drip back so in, so I wait till it's all cold again.

MISugarDaddy
01-28-2016, 07:40 AM
When I had only a leanto roof I covered the pan with a piece of plywood to which I attached aluminum flashing. I wiped it off each time I removed it so it stayed clean. Even though I have a sugarhouse now, I still cover the pans when I am not boiling.
Gary

wnybassman
01-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Dug up a picture of my old pan set-up

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/wnybassman/maple/newpancover.jpg