PDA

View Full Version : Safe storage time for sap ???

unclejohn
01-27-2016, 08:25 AM
Question from a hobby operation in mid Missouri. We save up our sap in batches until we have enough to boil. Right now we have 70 gallons of sap in plastic jugs outside, it got down to 22 degrees last night, but next few days it may getup to 50 and we wont be boiling until our next collection tomorrow or Friday. Please share your knowledge about how long sap can be stored safely and at what temperature, without having to freeze it. Sap is flowing in Missouri; read the Missouri tapping forum for updates! Good luck to all of you north of us itching to get out in the woods.

psparr
01-27-2016, 09:13 AM
I can only boil on the weekends, and have only lost sap a few times to warmth. Treat it like milk.

maple flats
01-27-2016, 11:58 AM
The longer you keep it the darker the syrup you will get. You also get less. Both of those are caused by micro organisims that feed on the sugar.

SDdave
01-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Uncle Jon,

I know you may not want to freeze it. But if you don't want the risk of losing it, I would freeze a couple ice cream buckets worth dump the sap in a larger holding vessel and put the sap cubes in there. The cubes will gradually melt, but will keep it cool enough for a short term (a day or so). I've done this many times and yes as maple flats said it'll produce a darker syrup.

SDdave