PDA

View Full Version : Blower/Fan On a Half Pint

MaineMapleDave
03-02-2004, 03:15 PM
First post, so please forgive me if this is something previously covered--I searched a bit and couldn't find anything.

In a number of posts I have read references to hooking up a blower on a half-pint to increase the boiling capacity. I have a half pint with the older style arch and have rigged up a blower (of sorts), but didn't notice a drastic increase in boiling capacity. Seems to be maxed out at about 6 gallons per hour.

So, my questions are: how have any of you rigged up blowers to half-pints, what kind of blower, how does it really work?

Any input will be appreciated, and photos doubly so.

Dave

mapleman3
03-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Yes I had a older style half pint last year. I had the barrel style. at the bottom in front it had a 2" bung hole, I welded a flange on a 6" long peice of 2" pipe. then bolted it to a small blower and it worked awesome

I will try to find a pic of the blower when I'm at home

MaineMapleDave
03-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Thanks, Jim. I'd loooove to see a photo.

I have the older style arch that is sort of half-ellipse shaped, and I rigged up a blower to a round-to-rectangular duct transition that I hang on the front of the arch. It blows in through the draft damper (which I removed) and makes a bit of difference, but nothing overly dramatic. I have found that it does help in getting started and in completing combustion.

I rigged it up to a ceiling-fan rheostat, so I can vary the speed of the blowing a bit, too.

I think I need to either get a bigger rig or one of the newer arches and get even more creative with the blower.

A fun obsession..................

MaineMapleDave
03-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Jeremy-
I sent you a PM with contact info. I live in Buxton and would love to try to get together.

Dave