PDA

View Full Version : February Run?

Revi
01-26-2016, 09:45 AM
It looks like it might start warming up in February this year. We are going to tap as soon as it warms up for 4 days in a row in Feb.

What do you think? Will it run earlier this year? The past 2 years have been late, and maybe this year will break the pattern. Or maybe not...

lpakiz
01-26-2016, 09:49 AM
What do you think? Will it run earlier this year? The past 2 years have been late, and maybe this year will break the pattern. Or maybe not...
Revi, I think you nailed it!

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Hey Revi,

I was hesitant at first, but we did it. 1,088 taps in and still going. Tonight we will have the first boil of 2016 with just over 950 gallons.

Small guy in the next town over, collected 260 gallons yesterday and had his first boil last night.

Good luck Revi.

Mitchman
02-08-2016, 03:28 AM
So I got 14 gallons on a day ( Sunday ) I thought would be a bust, for just 70 taps and a pan evaporator. But the sun came out in force, with very light wind and 35 degree temps.

Revi
02-08-2016, 07:24 AM
We haven't gotten it together yet, but I am glad you guys got some sap! One of my students has made over 3 gallons off of 100 taps already! That means that about 1/5 of the season has happened already! Wow! Our "maple mentor" has already made about 7 barrels. The season is begun. We are replacing taps and drops over vacation and getting ready for the big tapping, which will probably happen slowly as I replace the taps.

Mini_Maple_Men
02-08-2016, 12:27 PM
We got 40 gallons of sap last week and my tester got missing over the off season so I couldn't test sugar content of my sap. But we boiled Friday night and got a whopping whole quart!! Means the sugar was right around .75%. What a wast of wood and time! Dark Amber with great flavor but along time boiling...lol oh well on to the next run in a week or two and off to get a new tester!

2oldsaps
02-08-2016, 03:05 PM
How do you like your 2x3 Mason? We just got our 2x3XL. Which pan did you get?

2oldsaps

Peeper
02-08-2016, 03:28 PM
Out of the last run, I had my first boil of the season Friday & Satuday AM (82 gallons collected and boiled 65, the rest is frozen in the tank) and got a a gallon and 1/4 of nice light amber. Glad I collected when I did as the next two weeks are looking a bit colder. But it'll go again (maybe for another run of the light stuff!)

boondocker
02-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Well......if it was running good it isn't anymore. Wow is it cold and windy here!! In a way I'm glad I haven't tapped In yet but I sure am itching to blow some steam!

Mini_Maple_Men
02-08-2016, 07:22 PM
2old, I got the regular 2x3 with 3 flues and 5 gallon preheater. We got 5 gallons an hour evaporate rate then fire bricked it second firing of last season and upped evap to 9 gallons an hour! I just bought a stanly floor blower from Home Depot and that pushed me up to over 13 gal an hour. Feels like a dream over my 1 or 2gallons an hour turkey fryer. What's the evap rate on the xl? Did you brick or blow it?

Revi
02-11-2016, 09:29 AM
We are tapping next week and will be ready for the next run (hopefully). I am going to replace 100 taps and drops at the suggestion of our "maple mentor". I have vacation next week, so it will be a perfect time to do maple syruping!

abbott
02-11-2016, 04:31 PM
I am also strongly considering tapping next week, though that could change if the forecast changes. If the season starts slow I'll add some taps while I wait.

Mitchman
02-11-2016, 06:53 PM
Looks like a couple good day's next week, and one night according to the graph on weather underground. But this is the same graph that yest. said an 8 - 12 inch storm Tuesday downgraded to 1-3 inch's. Bet that changes too :lol:

blissville maples
02-11-2016, 07:12 PM
I do believe the season has started slightly-no major losses- but I think starting this week get ready. ill be tapping by wensday for sure. don't be surprised if the 34-36 degrees days(less wind more sun) will produce, heck it was 34 and sun yesterday and got 1/4 gal on test tree. I believe with limited frost the water uptake for the tree will be reaily available. however after this cold snap it will take probably 2 days for anything to happen, hence why ill be drilling no later than wensday. looks like a couple cold swings in late feb. if plays out should be good season

Smrdc1974
02-12-2016, 12:38 PM
I will finish bricking my arch this weekend and I think I will tap Sunday. Looks like next week we will have a few days warming up and the following week looks even better. According to accuweather things may change. So, if you tap and we get a long stretch of cold weather. Holes freeze up, will it still be fine come March?

Mitchman
02-14-2016, 03:27 AM
I think you will have to ask the Maple Tree God's for that answer Smrdc1974. Your actions will be a response to the conditions of what's happening, or isn't happening. I myself have had to walk my lines and pull taps, give a quick ream, and move on. Some tree's were fine. Now I only have 72 taps, others have way more than that :o. It's been a crazy year and getting crazier. Two good day's coming and like you said warming next week. Nice !!

Revi
02-15-2016, 08:00 PM
We got about 75 of the trees tapped on Wednesday. We also fixed up a lot of taps and drops. We put in at least 30 new taps and drops. I think it will make a big difference since it's the most productive part of the woods.