PDA

View Full Version : mouse killer in sugar houses

white mt
02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Dont use moues killer pellets in your sugar houses,those little pest store this stuff all over like a squirrel stores nuts.what a clean up.Traps work best.has this happend to others.

maple flats
02-28-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm going to make a trap. Take a 5gal pail, put a hole from side to side at the top, install a rod across and put the rod thru a metal can so it can rotate easily. Spread peanut butter on the can and put 6" or so of water in the pail. Then just put a board ramp up so they can climb up to get the peanut butter, thay can't swim all day. Empty daily, conduct funeral services and burry at sea.

maple flats
02-28-2007, 08:19 PM
I forgot, you might need windshield washer fluid to keep it from freezing. They never escape and others don't learn from seeing their friends floating.

Fred Henderson
02-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Commanly called an Adrondack Mouse Trap. Had one for years at my hunting camp. They have even been known to catch a chipmunk or two. Mix a little molassas with that peanut butter. Just be sure to check it often in the summer months or you may loose your breakfast if you don't it often.

Pete33Vt
03-01-2007, 04:35 AM
I've used the pellets before and never had a problem with them. The don't seem to store anything. Best trap I've seen is a regular old bucket. The get in and can't get out.

Hal
03-01-2007, 06:19 AM
I won't use the pellets because of the scattering and storing. I have had pretty good luck with the solid bait bars. The second year I had my new arch the little buggers dug out some of the insulation from the door and built a nest in there. Now I put a bar in there as well.

The most successful trap I ever used was unintentional. I had left a line of old style settling tanks upside down on the bench with the valves either open or removed. The mice crawled in and couldn't get out. Each tank had two three in it, mostly decomposed and dried up, when I opened up the sugarhouse the next spring. A similar thing happened a couple years ago. Due to misunderstanding, selective deafness, or just plain teenage laziness, my kids had left half a pail of niter by the sugarhouse door. My neighbor was putting up his electric fence charger there, and needed a bucket to stand on. He told me later, "I dumped out somebody's science experiment up by your sugarhouse".

white mt
03-01-2007, 06:26 AM
The worst part was I for some reason moved my bulk sap tank drain hose, and heard something move inside. It was about a box of the stuff.wow was I glade i found that .could have emptyed my full sap tank and had the pellets flooting all through it .That would have ben a real bummer.

Fred Henderson
03-01-2007, 09:45 AM
I also like the bait bars. You can also take a 3lb coffee can and cut a hole the size of a nickel in the rim, put the bait bar in there and turn it upside down. Now the little begger has to eat all he wants right there and he can not drag it off. I had some of the Tom Cat bait bars that are about 2" long and while inspecting my water heater they had dragged one intot he fire box area.

SteveD
03-01-2007, 07:53 PM
.....Last fall I had three lengths of 10" stainless stack standing on end on the concrete floor of the sugarhouse. I got a mouse or two in those things every other day for about 10 days...think I got 11 in all. No bait...no nothin'...just plain old curiosity.

rschoo
03-07-2007, 12:48 AM
I have a couple 5 gal buckets I turned into planting pots by drilling a few 1" holes in the bottom. I was using one for trash last season and ended up leaving it upside down on the concrete floor in the sugar house all last summer. There were four mice in various states of decomposition under the bucket last fall. No bait.

brookledge
03-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Imagine how many you would have had if you had bait attacting them in
Keith

orser506
03-23-2010, 05:01 AM
trap but instead of water in the bucket i use Acetic Acid.. dissolves the little guys .... so does this make me cruel?:confused: Or should i just let them swim around till they play out and drown.