PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Transducer

miohman
01-25-2016, 06:17 AM
Looking at putting a transducer to control the speed of you pump. What models/brands have people found to work?

Thanks

DrTimPerkins
01-25-2016, 09:03 AM
Looking at putting a transducer to control the speed of you pump. What models/brands have people found to work?

It is going to depend on the model of your VFD and pump.

BreezyHill
01-25-2016, 09:50 AM
The issue is that the VFD must be compatible with the TD. Not sure why the pump makes a difference since the VFD controls the pump. Best thing to do is to get a VFD supplier that is US based and understands the instillation. Other wise you will have parts that cant talk to each other or are not in the parameters that we work in. Example is a dairy TD wants the middle of its operational range to be around 13". In a high vac you will want to be able to reliable sense 28+" or what ever level you desire to operate at.

English please...I have a difficult time explaining my needs to a person that has never seen a maple tree or for that matter ever eaten syrup. I spent over an hour explaining the setup just to explain sugaring for another hour as the engineer had no idea why I needed to do what I was doing. I enjoy a challenge to an extent but at some point you cant keep chasing your tail.

Good Luck!

Ben

DrTimPerkins
01-25-2016, 10:39 AM
Not sure why the pump makes a difference since the VFD controls the pump.

The VFD needs to be capable of providing the correct output the pump requires (phase, volts, amps). Not all VFDs can control all pumps depending upon the characteristics of the pump and VFD.

Similarly, the transducer needs to be able to communicate properly with the VFD (or to the pump through a relay), by providing the correct signal stream (and the VFD in turn, needs to be able to provide the correct operating power to the transducer).

If a VFD is not used, and the user simply wants to shut the pump based upon a temperature transduce/thermostat, or through a moisture trap switch, that is also possible...but is a slightly different (although related in some ways) problem.

In any case, more details are needed to provide guidance. I do agree with you that it is good to go with a US supplier (or maple equipment dealer) who knows the system and can help you get it running properly. It can take a lot of time on the phone with an engineer to get these things running the first time (or even worse, trouble-shooting when something fails and the sap is running). You want availability of good technical assistance (and replacement parts) during the season if bad things happen. Really stinks to have your pump sitting there not running during the season because a system component failed and it'll take a week to get parts.

BreezyHill
01-25-2016, 04:26 PM
The VFD needs to be capable of providing the correct output the pump requires (phase, volts, amps). Not all VFDs can control all pumps depending upon the characteristics of the pump and VFD.

Good thing you said that I assumed that people would realize that...guess that goes to the common sense is not common to all now days discussion. My bad.

claytski
01-25-2016, 05:33 PM
we use Setra. we sell about 100 a year for vacuum and I use them on all the automated RO's. They are out of Mass and I believe them come with lifetime no questions asked warranty. Anyways we have them on the shelf.

wiam
01-25-2016, 05:43 PM
we use Setra. we sell about 100 a year for vacuum and I use them on all the automated RO's. They are out of Mass and I believe them come with lifetime no questions asked warranty. Anyways we have them on the shelf.

Do you have the transducers also

GeneralStark
01-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Setra is the transducer manufacturer. Dwyer instruments makes a workable transducer as well. The key is a TD that will work at the vac. levels you want to operate at and determining if the VFD can power the TD or if you need an external power supply. All depends on specific VFD you have and if it has the capability to accept the signal.

Not all pumps can be ramped down. Liquid rings are especially limited.