PDA

View Full Version : last minute blower

Windy Acres
01-24-2016, 05:02 AM
ok guys, im thinking of adding a blower last minute, do you have any suggestions on a particular one? also just AUF for now, the back of my firebox is already plumbed with a piece of 6" round stainless duct, but what would i need under the grates/ or would i need different grates? it is a 2x8 raised flue with preheater and hoods, thanks, any pictures would be great!

maple flats
01-24-2016, 05:53 AM
On my 3x8 I just ran a section of stove pipe forward to stop 6" before the front and then I capped it. Then I ran 3 rows of holes every 3-4", one row top center and one each side with those rows facing the outer grates. Mine is just 4" and my holes are 1/4" but those are on high pressure air. I think you may want 5/16 or 3/8" holes with a squirrel cage blower. The HP air keeps my holes open so I only need to remove ash once a week, you might need to every day because of the air pressure you will be using. I still have my original grates.
For the blower, I think you want one about 250 CFM.
Before I put in HP air, I used a 300 CFM on my 3x8. It boiled faster but consumed so much more wood that I shut it off about 2/3 thru the season because I was running low on wood. Then the next season I had put in HP AOF/AUF and I got even higher boil rates on LESS wood.

madmapler
01-24-2016, 07:28 AM
I just pipe it into the ash pit under the standard grates and it works well for me. It finds its way through the grates. A real good blower for that size evaporator would be a jenn air stove exhaust blower. Some of those even have 2 speeds.(the 4 wire ones). They are plentiful on ebay. More than enough for my old 2.5x10.

psparr
01-24-2016, 07:45 AM
I use an electric leaf blower with a towel to restrict intake flow, and a cinder block to direct the air near the arch so I don't melt the blower. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/24/88d206dd72aa0798f8ec4f37b899346d.jpg