PDA

View Full Version : From Storage Barrel to Feed barrel-Transfer ideas for me

valleyman
01-23-2016, 07:14 PM
Weekend boiler here. Typically I boil 30-50gal on the weekends. I keep my sap in the coldest part of the yard in a snow pile. Come boiling day I haul bucket by bucket down to the feed tank which is roughly 50-70 feet away.
I'm thinking this season to use a hose and siphon the sap down. The feed tank is almost level maybe slightly lower than storage. I attached a drawing to help better explain. Inexpensive pump to start siphon? I'm not to handy in this area.
Thanks in Advance,
Greg

TerryEspo
01-23-2016, 07:40 PM
I love the diagram, simple and easy, just my style.

I think a Shurflow pump would work just fine.

You need a way to hold the two ends in place while pumping but that is easy to figure out. Shurflow pumps are available for electricity 110V, if you have power where you boil or a 12Volt pump.

Once done pumping take the Shurflow inside till next time needed.

I am sure there are many ways but that is what comes to mind for me.

Happy Sapping.

Terry

PA TAPPER
01-23-2016, 07:56 PM
You need Jiggle Syphon ! Saw them in person. They work well. 3 different sizes up to 3/4 inch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVegKo4WH0

Z/MAN
01-23-2016, 08:21 PM
Don't buy one of those siphons with a plastic valve. They don't work in the cold. Metal ones work great.

valleyman
01-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to look into your suggestions.

Do you think the jiggle siphon will create a strong enough flow to make the 50 foot journey?

Big_Eddy
01-25-2016, 07:28 AM
How fast do you want the transfer to take place? How cold will it be while you are transferring? I you set up a potable garden hose and used a jiggle starter, the tank will drain. Slowly. And if it is cold out the line will end up frozen before your tank is empty.

It is hard to start a siphon on a larger line. But If you run a larger line out the bottom of the tank then it will drain faster. But you NEED to be able to disconnect it and allow it to fully empty or it will only work once.

Best solution in my mind is a pump and a poly pipe with disconnects. Hook up the pump, pump the tank, drain the line. Make sure the poly is sloped from top to bottom so there are no sags.
If you can't pump, then a poly pipe with a quick connect to a valve mounted at the bottom of the tank. Connect, open valve, drain, disconnect and elevate the upstream end of the poly to ensure all the sap drains out.

IMO a jiggle siphon is going to frustrate you.

valleyman
01-25-2016, 08:09 AM
Very informative. Thanks Big Eddy!

Big_Eddy
01-25-2016, 10:04 AM
A few more comments.
Valves in winter are a problem. They freeze. You thaw them with a heat gun until they will turn, but there is still a plug in the middle of the ball that blocks flow. Get the valve warm enough to melt that plug and you melt the seals. Try to punch it out with a stick and you get wet. Aargh!

The submersible pump kept inside where it is warm will work every time. Yeah!

If you don't want a permanent installation, a small garden hose size pump and a potable water hose would be ideal. Use it to transfer the sap, then roll it up and store it inside until next time.

optionguru
01-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Jiggle siphons work great. Once you get it started down the hill it should have no problem. Nice and easy for your purpose. No electric or gas needed.