PDA

View Full Version : pump oil for temporary use

Starting Small
01-23-2016, 06:23 PM
I have a Delaval 73 and the oil has started to get a bit low from two days of useage a couple weeks ago. I ordered more vacuum pump oil from Tractor Supply but it has not come in yet. What else can I add to the remaining pump oil to buy me a few days till the new oil comes in. I ordered the oil a week and a half ago. Thanks for the advice,
-Dave

unc23win
01-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Straight 5 weight oil you can get it at napa you could also use hydraulic fluid.

Starting Small
01-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Straight 5 weight oil you can get it at napa you could also use hydraulic fluid.
Thank you I am assuming I can add it to the existing pump oil. Also, on the dipstick there is not a full level indicator, but the dipstick does change diameter size, is that the level I should fill to? Thanks,
-Dave

BreezyHill
01-23-2016, 10:34 PM
I have a Delaval 73 and the oil has started to get a bit low from two days of useage a couple weeks ago. I ordered more vacuum pump oil from Tractor Supply but it has not come in yet. What else can I add to the remaining pump oil to buy me a few days till the new oil comes in. I ordered the oil a week and a half ago. Thanks for the advice,
-Dave

Dave don't put motor oil in that pump. Motor oil holds or retains moisture and will damage the pump just as water in diesel fuel damages injection pumps.

The only oil must be able to separate out water and be nonfoaming. Foaming is when the oil and water blend together/ homogenize and that will plug the internal oil ports and rail of that pump. Marvel mystery oil is non foaming. ATF, most hydraulic oils, motor oil are all foaming type.

Look on the web for a local surge, westfalia or delaval dealer or your local maple supply dealer for vac oil. Ask a local dairy farmer where he gets his oil, he might even trade some oil for some syrup.

To clean that pump out if you use foaming oil is a good two hour project with carb cleaner for the oil rail and tubing, and diesel to clean the bearing and reservoir out.

Check at napa, bond, for a nonfoaming oil is another option.
Good Luck.

Starting Small
01-23-2016, 10:41 PM
Thanks Ben, I will check with a NAPA or another automotive store for a non foaming oil. How much oil should I put in and can I combine the vac oil with the non foaming oil I will buy? Hopefully the vac pump oil from Tractor Supply will be in soon. Thanks!

BreezyHill
01-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Yes they can be combined. I think it takes three quarts to fill a73 to operating level. The dip tube that goes to the face plate needs to be in oil when the pump is running to suck oil to the rail oiler for the veins. I will fill mine to full and drain it to see the exact amount later today. Text me if I don't send you the amount.

Ben

Brian
01-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Some farmers around here use auto trans fluid dextron 3 for vacuum pump oil. I have used it when I ran out with no problems.