PDA

View Full Version : 2 x 5 Smoky Lake Hybrid. Need tips on operation

newmod
01-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Ok, I am upgrading to the 2 x 5 hybrid pan. Not really sure how these operate. I understand the drop flue pan and the divided pan, Is there a transfer valve between the pans? when drawing off the syrup from the divided pan when it is to temp, do you flood the divided pan from to drop flue pan and keep drawing off syrup until the temp lowers at the draw off ???

I am used to my homemade drop "tube" pan and flat pan. I had to manually transfer "by cups" In between the pans. Then at the end of the day we would take the dear syrup in the flat pan and boil it down further in turkey cooker.

Thanks
Newmod

Ghs57
01-23-2016, 10:02 AM
This is a continuous flow pan, therefore sap will flow from the flue pan to the syrup pan via the cutouts between the sections (without valves). At first start up, both pans will contain unconcentrated sap. As you fire the pan, and evaporate sap, fresh sap will enter the pan from the float box and push the concentrating sap to the syrup pan. You can then draw off from the syrup pan when you hit the target temperature (7 degrees above 212 as indicated on the dial thermometer). You are running the entire pan every time you fire, which is what you want. When you shut down, you may want to draw off a gallon of near syrup to add to the syrup pan the next time you fire up the pan. Over time, the concentration gradient which developed during the firing as the sap moves through the pan will be lost by diffusion, so adding the near syrup back to the syrup pan can speed the reformation of the gradient.

You are now beyond the manual transfer of sap between pans. You will be able to draw off syrup from the pan if you run long enough. It takes some time from the first firing to build up the concentration and develop the gradient.
Run the pan a little deep until you get the hang of it, maybe 1.5 - 2". That really depends upon how confident you are with your new equipment. You don't want to burn the pan.

Good luck.

newmod
01-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Gary,
Thank for the advice. that explains a lot. I am looking to boiling more than about 8 GPH. We are tapping around 150 this year. Hope it goes well.

Todd

sweetwater sugar shack
01-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Just ordered the same thing anybody else running one of these on a homemade oil tank evaporator if so what are u getting for gph with a blower

jmayerl
01-23-2016, 01:16 PM
My boiling partner has a 2x6 with a blower and gets 30+ from his, I would expect 20+ from a 2x5 without a blower if you fire it hard

Ghs57
01-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Did all of you get the pro package? That should also help with the gph. This will be my first year, but I expect to be in the 20s, maybe a little higher if I get the hood and preheater and air done in time.

newmod
01-23-2016, 02:03 PM
No I didn't get the PRO PACKAGE. I am retiring my oil tank evap to someone else and building a new evaporator before the season starts. might solder up a 1/2 inch copper pre-heater for above the drop flue pan. I have a copper coil around the stack right now. Probably purchase an Auto-draw off next year. I plan on also adding an AUF to this new setup . I have a lot of work to do before the season starts.

Todd

newmod
01-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Gary,
Have you built your cast concrete arch yet? just curious on how you did it.

NJG
01-23-2016, 04:14 PM
I'm curious how many gallons of sap it takes to get to the point where you can start drawing off on the Smokey Lake Hybrid pans. I'm a weekend boiler here using a 2x4 flat pan now. Thinking about a 2x6 hybrid pan in the next couple years to help improve our evap rate but worried that in two or three days of hard boiling, all I will be able to do is make a bunch of sweet sap. Anybody have any experience or thoughts?

PA TAPPER
01-23-2016, 07:02 PM
I'm curious how many gallons of sap it takes to get to the point where you can start drawing off on the Smokey Lake Hybrid pans. I'm a weekend boiler here using a 2x4 flat pan now. Thinking about a 2x6 hybrid pan in the next couple years to help improve our evap rate but worried that in two or three days of hard boiling, all I will be able to do is make a bunch of sweet sap. Anybody have any experience or thoughts?

I have a new 2x6 hybrid and have boiled 4 times this year. I had to boil over 200 gallon until I had good consistent syrup draws. Note : My sugar content was low at 1.1 % .

Ghs57
01-24-2016, 01:45 AM
Gary,
Have you built your cast concrete arch yet? just curious on how you did it.

I built it last year. I do concrete counter tops, so it seemed like an easy alternative for me. I took the basic design found here and poured a 2" thick version in sections; fire box, ramp, and back legs. Everything was lagged together, insulated with arch board and fire bricked on a cement slab in my shack. The down side is that it's not very portable. But it was very cheap to build, and it works reasonably well. I now have to make a few changes to fit my new 2x6 pan, and to add AUF/AOF. I have pictures of the build in process somewhere if interested.

Ghs57
01-24-2016, 01:47 AM
I have a new 2x6 hybrid and have boiled 4 times this year. I had to boil over 200 gallon until I had good consistent syrup draws. Note : My sugar content was low at 1.1 % .

That's good to know, and about what I expected for the 2x6. Thanks for the info.

sweetwater sugar shack
01-24-2016, 04:54 AM
Yes i did get the pro package and the auto draw and float box one man operation so I thought it would help

NJG
01-24-2016, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the info. Generally have low sugar as well here.

Ghs57
01-24-2016, 09:58 AM
Yes i did get the pro package and the auto draw and float box one man operation so I thought it would help

Sounds great. I didn't get the auto draw off, but thought I would make one at some point.