PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for keeping air out a siphon?

Weekend_Warrior
01-22-2016, 10:05 AM
I made a siphon that is similar to the one shown in this thread.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?18050-Siphoning-between-pans/page2&highlight=syphon

I made it with 1/2" pipe with a 2" cup. But, the siphon brakes after a very short time. I try to keep by pans at a full rolling boil. So, there are lots of bubbles. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the air out? Maybe a screen mesh on top of the cups? Or, perhaps using a 1/4 tube with a 1/2 cup so that there is less room for air to get into the tube?

Thanks.
Ted

optionguru
01-22-2016, 02:49 PM
I did the same thing you did a couple of years ago and finally gave up on the whole arch. I think it's inevitable that you'll lose the siphon but if you run it a bit deeper it helps some. I also created a little hook out of a wire clothes hanger that I could re-dunk the siphon with to get it going again easily.

CampHamp
01-22-2016, 06:10 PM
If the cups lay flat on the pan, they will boil and send bubbles into the pipe. I tilted them a little, when I used them a few years ago and the siphon worked for much longer that way.

Big_Eddy
01-29-2016, 09:19 AM
Trying screwing 3 stainless screws into the bottom of each cup so the heads lift them off the pan bottom slightly. That way the bubbles from the pan bottom will go around the cups.