PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum slushy!

nace
01-21-2016, 04:48 PM
After waiting most of the day for the lines to thaw, I finally fired up the vacuum pump. You could hear it running through the lines and see it pour out like a slushy pouring into the bender releaser. But after it got flowing, it ran normal. Checked the lines and only found one small leak! Short run then the temperature dropped.

fisheatingbagel
01-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Hi Nace,
I'm in Louisville. There aren't too many other maplers in the area, other than L & M Sugarbush in Salem, Indiana. I'm impressed that you have 239 taps on 3 1/2 acres! I have less than 10 on my 3 acres - all the rest are on other peoples property.

nace
01-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Hi Dave, I guess I need to update my tap total to 350 after getting them all tapped. I had a forester come out under the stewardship program a few years ago. He said that someone had logged the property 40-50 years ago and a maple seeded the whole property. I grew up in pioneer village in Bullitt co. Depending on what side of town you at on, you may find a sugarbush around Fairdale, Mitchell Hill, Brooks Hill, Zoneton rd, Billtown rd. when I bought my 40"x12' king, I thought I had a 12 acre lease but when I finally caught up with the guy, he said he didn't want the tubing I the woods because his kids rode their bikes in the woods. Hopefully, I can swing a lease for next year.

fisheatingbagel
01-26-2016, 07:45 AM
So you're getting 350 taps from 3 acres? That's pretty impressive. All my taps are on buckets and bags. I have about 110 taps in Shelby county, 25 miles from my house. I could get another couple hundred taps in Nelson county using tubing but I just don't have the time to drive to both!

I put out around 30 taps over the weekend. The weather for this week looks promising.

nace
01-26-2016, 12:50 PM
Dave, if you get them both on tubing with a tank at both along with one in your truck, you wouldn't have to empty buckets and bags. 330 gallon totes are available at Lexington Container Company, I think they are $125 ea. of course the danger of making more syrup is that you will want to make more, and then you NEED a bigger shack, a commercial kitchen, a cream machine.....full blown maple madness.

fisheatingbagel
01-27-2016, 09:45 AM
Aye, full blown madness. My wife has already confirmed I'm there...