PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy sap bags in Canada (Ontario)?

wobbletop
01-21-2016, 03:43 PM
I'm thinking of switching to sap bags this year, but I can't find a Canadian dealer that carries sap bags. Maybe I'm not using the correct search terms or something.

Is there an equivalent type of bag I can be searching for that isn't necessarily labeled as a sap bag? That is, is there a generic term for these bags?

Preferably I'd like to just pick some up locally (Milton) to avoid shipping.

Thanks,
Walter

Run Forest Run!
01-21-2016, 05:20 PM
Walter, they aren't easy to find up here. However, some maple suppliers in the US sell the Bag-in-Box style of bags that wine comes in to accomplish the same thing. Some of the bags require washers to keep the spile from pulling through the hole, but they don't require the holder that maple sap bags do. One of the biggest distributors of Bag-in-Box bags is in Mississauga. Perfect for you!

http://www.smurfitkappa.com/vHome/com/Products/BaginBox/Pages/Default.aspx

Perhaps if you contact them they can help you out. As a side note, if you want to experiment with another closed system for collecting sap that is really cheap and VERY effective try using plastic jugs. While we can't get milk in jugs up here, the 4L and 5L water and vinegar jugs are perfect. With the cap on the top of the jug, not much of anything gets inside the jug except for sap. Recycle the jugs at the end of the season. No cleaning up required if you don't want to save them for next year.

leaky bucket
01-21-2016, 07:50 PM
Try cdl maple Atkinson's maple in oro station is CDL now. as I was writing this I got my cdl catalogue . SAP bags are .28 ea and holdrs are 2.70
Page 12 of the 2016 cat. I believe your sales rep would be Josh Holmes 705 487 331. Josh.holmes@cdlinc.ca

wobbletop
03-17-2016, 04:03 PM
I ended up visiting CDL in Oro last weekend. Quite the candy store for maple syrup folks!

Bought 25 bags for next year and some smaller splines.